Return to the Trees Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Transplanting Japanese Maple

Posted by TFN13 none (My Page) on
Fri, Apr 4, 14 at 15:06

Is it too late to transplant this JM.
I live in Washington DC and we are pretty safely past frost. I've attached pictures to show size and bud development.
It is too close to the house and door, under a taller plum, and where I want to set up my grill. I want to move it to a corner that will have 6 ft fences on two sides (north and east) and a very old walnut high above it. It will probably get more sun than currently location which is on a north facing wall of the house.
So is it too late to move, if not how long do I have. Is the new location acceptable.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Transplanting Japanese Maple

second picture of full tree

o

If you are in DC proper, than you are probably past frost, but I wouldn't say "safely" past, as there have been later last freezes as recently as 2007. If you are in the suburbs, the average last freeze ranges from April 10th to April 20th. Just FYI.

o

Yes DC proper, in a dense urban neighborhood. But your right, I'm not planting my vegetables yet because a frost is still possible.
That said, is the possibility of frost a significant consideration in transplanting the JM? Is the current growing stage risky or advisable for transplanting?

o

Generally speaking, late autumn or winter, when the tree is dormant but the ground is not frozen, is best for transplanting. Its obvious from the photos that the tree is starting to come out of dormancy. You could definitely get away with it, but for highest odds of success, it would be best to wait until next dormant season.

o

Not too late at all but do it quickly!! "Last frost" date has no bearing on planting or transplanting hardy woody plants - that term is used only in reference to cold sensitive plants like annuals or tender perennials.

As a gardener with a lot of Japanese maples, I would not hesitate to move a tree that size at that stage of seasonal development. Your risk factor is about nil.

o

i would be more concerned with a sudden heat wave .. rather than cold...

this weekend at the latest ...

ken

o

It sounds like you might could use some tree planting advice! Take a look at the information at the link below. Section 1 covers planting times, but I'd recommend you read the whole thing carefully. Frost dates are not mentioned because, like Gardengal said, they are irrelevant.

Here is a link that might be useful: Planting a Tree or Shrub

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Trees Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here