Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ikandyxotics

Wild Cherry?

iKandyXotics
10 years ago

I was told this was a wild cherry tree . Just wanted your opinion. The fruits are tiny and it is growing wildly lol.

Comments (20)

• iKandyXotics
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Fruit close-up

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    10 years ago

prunus serotina ???

its the furniture cherry ...

the fruit are these horrid near meatless bitter fruits.. that are 90% stone..

which the birds adore.. and spread all over the world ...

it is said that a cut/snapped branch has a red pop smell ... i do smell it once in a while ... but not always ....

ken

• Embothrium
    10 years ago

Yes, that or a similar species.

• iKandyXotics
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Anyone?

• Iris GW
    10 years ago

Depends on where you live. Prunus serotina would be true if that popped up near me.

Here is a link that might be useful: Distribution

This post was edited by esh_ga on Fri, Apr 26, 13 at 12:21

• Embothrium
    10 years ago

>Anyone?You already had two answers: Yes, it's a wild cherry tree, maybe Prunus serotina. If it were me I would then have looked up P. serotina to see if that's the one, as soon as it was suggested.

• iKandyXotics
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Sorry for some reason the responses didn't show up :*( I live in Florida , I'll def. look that up thanks :)

• terrene
    10 years ago

Hi Kandy, it's hard to tell if yours is P. serotina or another species. I have over a dozen wild P. serotina on my lot, ranging from a few years up to one approx. 50 year old specimen. It is a weedy tree and seeds itself prolifically. They have a rangy form and distinctive scraggy bark when mature.

Do you have pic of the whole tree or the flowers? This might help pin down the id.

• jqpublic
    10 years ago

Black cherry. Grows into a majestic tree up north, but prone to disease and short life-span in the south. Really is a junk tree down here.

• Iris GW
    10 years ago

In Georgia it does grow to be a very large tree as well. I don't perceive it as a junk tree in North Georgia.

• iKandyXotics
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Bark

• iKandyXotics
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Bloom

• Embothrium
    10 years ago

Rough bark typical of P. serotina.

• iKandyXotics
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I am sorry!!! I posted the wrong pic :*( Here is the actual tree

• iKandyXotics
    Original Author
    10 years ago

It still has that rough bark so I guess it is the P. serotina

• terrene
    10 years ago

Those blooms look like Prunus serotina but I'm confused whether that's the right tree or not. ?? Looks a little like Prunus virginiana too. Whatever, it's a very healthy looking tree. Some of my Prunus is in rough shape - having been strangled for years by Oriental bittersweet, lots of die off in some (which is okay, the birds love dead branches), and fireblight on some of P. virginiana. :-/

• iKandyXotics
    Original Author
    10 years ago

The blooms go with this tree , I just posted the wrong bark lol...the last picture is the correct one. This was the first year it bloomed and started fruiting , so I figured it was time to figure out just exactly what it was. The tree itself is small , nothing really to it haha. It has tons of shoots? coming up all over!

• iKandyXotics
    Original Author
    10 years ago

So , I have noitced the Cherry Trees look so similar lol...I guess it could be either of the two listed above...was hoping for a better cherry but ehh , it works I guess haha..The tree is very slender and tall , not sure if that helps.

• terrene
    10 years ago

Did this thread lose some posts? I thought someone confirmed it was Black Cherry.

iKandy, Prunus serotina may not be the most ornamental cherry but it is still a wonderful naive tree because it is an excellent wildlife tree and it is also prized for its wood which produces cherry cabinets and furniture. The birds love the fruits and it is a host plant for some of the most beautiful butterflies and moths, such as the Eastern Tiger Swallowtail and the Promethea moth.

For me, Black Cherries and Choke Cherries are not generally ornamental enough to grow in a highly visible position in the landscape, such as the front yard, but I have many of them in the back yard where the landscape is more naturalized and love them.

So if you are okay with where it is, leave it. As for all the shoots, they are probably either suckers or water sprouts, and I would prune off whatever extra shoots you don't want, as well as thin out any dead, crossing, or duplicate branches.

• jqpublic
    10 years ago

Here's what I was referring to with regard to their weediness in the deep south. More specifically, you being in zone 8, I don't feel the tree will live very long.

"Though Black Cherry can become a fairly large tree in the Appalachian Mountains, in the Piedmont and Coastal Plain it is very susceptible to disease and tends to be small and short-lived. "

The naturally seeded ones in my area of the country tend to die in about 10-15 years.

Here is a link that might be useful: Prunus Serotina