Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lou_spicewood_tx

'Super Dragon' Shantung maple back from dead...

lou_spicewood_tx
10 years ago

We had to move to another town last summer so I dug it up. Needless to say, it didn't look good for the rest of the year. I was expecting some die back but to my surprise, it recovered completely.

White veins on the leaves are pretty cool...

Comments (7)

• arktrees
    10 years ago

Looking good Lou. I have to say that is a very interesting Shantung. Great color that is supposed to be able to deal with full sun. Kinda rare.

ON a side note, I collected some seed from out Fire Dragon last fall (first time it flowered), and since it is an isolated tree with no other Shantung anywhere near, likely self-pollinated. Already got some seedlings that I find interesting (very red so far). Trying no to overdo the number I have though.

Arktrees

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    10 years ago

OMG lou.. its a maple.. of course it didnt die.. lol ...

ken

• lou_spicewood_tx
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Arktrees,

It definitely is very unique tree. It does stand out in the sun. Hopefully, several large wholesale growers will start propagating them soon for everybody across USA. Keith from Metro Maples sure is coming up with interesting ones. Somehow, Keith ended up with a bunch of dwarf Shantung maples (I think from Fire Dragon?), I think due to excessive heat and dry weather back in 201o or 2011. I noticed the same thing when I started a crop of them. I thought I was doing something wrong till I saw his seedlings at the farm.

I noticed that it takes several years to see how Shantung maples turn out in the ground when starting from seeds. Have fun with them!

Very funny, Ken....

• pkvir
    10 years ago

Hey Lou, please tell me how too start from seeds. I curently have 3 Shantungs, but think it would be fun to propagate one.

Thanks,

Paul

This post was edited by pkvir on Mon, Apr 22, 13 at 20:46

• lou_spicewood_tx
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Paul,

I collect seeds in the fall then store them dry in the envelope in the fridge till March. I soak them overnight then place the seeds on moist paper towel in a plastic container covered with a lid in the fridge. They will pop out roots rather quickly. I carefully put them in the starter tray barely covered with container mix that I make on my own (See Al's 5-1-1 mix in the container forum). They are easy to find at big box stores. Landscaper Mix at Lowe's. Peat Moss anywhere. Zeolite in Kitty Litter at HEB, Turface at... I forget the name of the place, expanded shale at Calloway's, etc.

Sometimes, you will find seedlings pop up in the yard on their own that you can carefully dig up and put them in the containers.

• pkvir
    10 years ago

Thanks Lou. It's great to know someone else who appreciates the greatness of the Shantung Maple.

• northtexas
    10 years ago

Beautiful tree Lou. I may have to pick one of these up. My shantungs have a foot of growth so far this spring and I am hoping for much more!

Sponsored
MAC Design + Build
Average rating: 4.3 out of 5 stars18 Reviews
Loudon County Full-Service Design/Build Firm & Kitchen Remodeler