Return to the Trees Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
'Super Dragon' Shantung maple back from dead...

Posted by lou_midlothian_tx z8 DFW, Tx (My Page) on
Mon, Apr 22, 13 at 15:29

We had to move to another town last summer so I dug it up. Needless to say, it didn't look good for the rest of the year. I was expecting some die back but to my surprise, it recovered completely.

White veins on the leaves are pretty cool...

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: 'Super Dragon' Shantung maple back from dead...

Looking good Lou. I have to say that is a very interesting Shantung. Great color that is supposed to be able to deal with full sun. Kinda rare.

ON a side note, I collected some seed from out Fire Dragon last fall (first time it flowered), and since it is an isolated tree with no other Shantung anywhere near, likely self-pollinated. Already got some seedlings that I find interesting (very red so far). Trying no to overdo the number I have though.

Arktrees

o

OMG lou.. its a maple.. of course it didnt die.. lol ...

ken

o

Arktrees,

It definitely is very unique tree. It does stand out in the sun. Hopefully, several large wholesale growers will start propagating them soon for everybody across USA. Keith from Metro Maples sure is coming up with interesting ones. Somehow, Keith ended up with a bunch of dwarf Shantung maples (I think from Fire Dragon?), I think due to excessive heat and dry weather back in 201o or 2011. I noticed the same thing when I started a crop of them. I thought I was doing something wrong till I saw his seedlings at the farm.

I noticed that it takes several years to see how Shantung maples turn out in the ground when starting from seeds. Have fun with them!

Very funny, Ken....

o

• Posted by pkvir z7b DFW TX (My Page) on
    Mon, Apr 22, 13 at 20:44

Hey Lou, please tell me how too start from seeds. I curently have 3 Shantungs, but think it would be fun to propagate one.

Thanks,

Paul

This post was edited by pkvir on Mon, Apr 22, 13 at 20:46

o

Paul,

I collect seeds in the fall then store them dry in the envelope in the fridge till March. I soak them overnight then place the seeds on moist paper towel in a plastic container covered with a lid in the fridge. They will pop out roots rather quickly. I carefully put them in the starter tray barely covered with container mix that I make on my own (See Al's 5-1-1 mix in the container forum). They are easy to find at big box stores. Landscaper Mix at Lowe's. Peat Moss anywhere. Zeolite in Kitty Litter at HEB, Turface at... I forget the name of the place, expanded shale at Calloway's, etc.

Sometimes, you will find seedlings pop up in the yard on their own that you can carefully dig up and put them in the containers.

o

• Posted by pkvir z7b DFW TX (My Page) on
    Tue, Apr 23, 13 at 12:33

Thanks Lou. It's great to know someone else who appreciates the greatness of the Shantung Maple.

o

Beautiful tree Lou. I may have to pick one of these up. My shantungs have a foot of growth so far this spring and I am hoping for much more!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Trees Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here