Return to the Trees Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Pruning my crabapple tree

Posted by dublinbay z6 KS (My Page) on
Mon, Apr 7, 14 at 16:15

I hope this is the right forum for flowering trees. I have a crabapple that is about 8-9 years old. The branches are rather low--can't walk under the tree and I'm short. I'd like to prune off the three lowest branches back to the main trunk -- to raise up the branch level on the tree.

My question: Is there a best time of the year to do this --other than wintertime since I don't want to wait until next winter? A worst time of the year to do it?

I'm assuming spring is not one of the best times to do it, but then hot summer probably isn't good either. Should I wait for cooler autumn or is it all right to do the pruning now?

As to the kind of crabapple. I hope it doesn't make a difference because I can't remember what kind it is--except it was one of the better ones for my area (Zone 6 Kansas). I remember researching a lot to find the best kind--just don't remember what that turned out to be.

Kate

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Pruning my crabapple tree

I do a lot of tree pruning in my yard. My understanding is that if you prune off to the main trunk, you can do that anytime. Read online how to properly cut and prune at the collar. You should not cut a large proportion of the tree at any one time.

o

Thanks Louis, that is helpful advice. And quick! : )

Kate

o

with anything flowering.. i enjoy the flowers.. then go to town ...

i prune things when i walk by with the saw.. or when a plant knocks off my hat ...

just do it ...

buy a pruning saw ... $10 - 15 at tractor supply ... read up on branch collars ...

and do a little at a time... you dont want to be cutting off half the canopy .... and if its a large branch.. cut off 90% .. and then make a good cut at the branch collar.. w/o the hanging weight ... so you dont tear a long wound down the trunk ...

if you provide a pic.. we could be more specific ...

ken

o
RE: link for pruning saw

see link for the TYPE of saw you need..

as noted.. you can buy knockoffs for much cheaper ... wallyworld.. etc ...

i see no reason why you need a high quality professional model for a little pruning...

the difference is that carpenters saws work on kiln dried lumber ...

you are cutting wet wood ...

the whole design takes that into account.. and make your job much easier ...

next thing you know.. you will be pruning everything in the yard ... lol .. just remember to remove the hanging weight.. so the last cut can be controlled.. and precise ...

w/o a pic ... its hard to do anything but guess... but i might take off the lowest 2 or 3 branches now/after flowering .. and a couple more in fall ... and make it a process... rather than doing it all at once ...

ken

Here is a link that might be useful: link

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Trees Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here