Return to the Trees Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Tree ID Assistance

Posted by campbell914 Massachusetts (My Page) on
Sat, Apr 6, 13 at 16:19

This tree hedge in Cambridge is beautiful all year round. Wondering if anyone can help identify it. I thought it might be stewartia, but seems too narrow and the bark doesn't appear to peel.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Tree ID Assistance

well.. you are the first to put a pic upside down.. not just sideways ... and i cant figure how to look at it ... my mind keeps wanting to think.. reflection in a pond.. and it hurts ...

the one with the power line going thru it???

ken

o

What's with all these ID requests with bare branches lately?

o

Right-side up will always be simpler...but some additional images closer up to bark, stem, twigs, buds will aid in the ID. Also, see if there are any characteristic elements laying about on the ground that might offer an idea. Not always the best way to proceed, but seeds, accumulated leaves, branches, and other plant parts can provide clues.

campbell914: There are quite a few columnar plants used this way these days. Traditionally these have been rapid growing but short-lived species like hybrid poplars.

Now, you can find highly valued species like oaks, maples, sweetgum, tuliptree, hornbeam, and more with this fastigiate habit.

With the minimum information provided so far, I'd say those plants most resemble Liquidambar styraciflua 'Slender Silhouette'.

@WxDano: identification of plants in dormancy is one of the best skills a gardener can develop.

o

If you click on the photo (in Safari, anyway) it appears in a different tab, right side up.

o

identification of plants in dormancy is one of the best skills a gardener can develop.

Yes. I led a snowshoe trip two weeks ago to do just that. We talked about how you need to have your face in the plant to do winter ID. Awful lot of pix on this board lately from 80 feet away!

o

• Posted by bboy USDA 8 Sunset 5 WA (My Page) on
    Sun, Apr 7, 13 at 15:33

Branching is like that of Dawyck beech.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Trees Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here