Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ricksample

Freeze Damage

ricksample
12 years ago

It was unexpected, normally I don't get concerned if the temps are in the mid 30's. However, a few days ago we were calling for mid 30's, when I woke up the temps were around 26. Everything was growing... However, not everything was covered in frost so heavy. Some stuff looked like it didn't have any frost, others had a light coating, some were completely covered.

So far I have minimal noted damage. Picea Engel. 'Bush's Lace' suffered the worst (it's out in the open field). All new growth including the new leader is brown. The old growth appears OK so far. Green Giants have a couple of brown patches, boxwood shrubs have lost all new growth, I think I may have lost Acer palmatum 'Waterfall' (no new leaves appear to be growing yet).

Questions:

Any chance the bush's lace or Green giants will be OK? Will it push new growth or loose a year? I'm maininly concerned with the leader of Bush's Lace.

How long does it usually take for something to show damage? I'm wondering if I'm out of the clear on everything else or not. Again, it's been 3-4 days. I was kind of waiting to post to see how long it would take for some damage to appear.

Comments (3)