Return to the Trees Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Freeze Damage

Posted by ricksample 6 (My Page) on
Thu, Apr 19, 12 at 16:22

It was unexpected, normally I don't get concerned if the temps are in the mid 30's. However, a few days ago we were calling for mid 30's, when I woke up the temps were around 26. Everything was growing... However, not everything was covered in frost so heavy. Some stuff looked like it didn't have any frost, others had a light coating, some were completely covered.

So far I have minimal noted damage. Picea Engel. 'Bush's Lace' suffered the worst (it's out in the open field). All new growth including the new leader is brown. The old growth appears OK so far. Green Giants have a couple of brown patches, boxwood shrubs have lost all new growth, I think I may have lost Acer palmatum 'Waterfall' (no new leaves appear to be growing yet).

Questions:

Any chance the bush's lace or Green giants will be OK? Will it push new growth or loose a year? I'm maininly concerned with the leader of Bush's Lace.

How long does it usually take for something to show damage? I'm wondering if I'm out of the clear on everything else or not. Again, it's been 3-4 days. I was kind of waiting to post to see how long it would take for some damage to appear.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Conifers

BTW: I meant to post this in the Conifers forum =)

o
RE: Freeze Damage

We had a little frost a week or two back and by the end of a week I think I saw all the damage.

Good luck with it all. Darn crazy weather.

o
RE: Freeze Damage

i have had multiple HARD frost/freezes .. and the established GG dont care ...

you are just going to have to wait it out on the bush's ..

ken

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Trees Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here