Return to the Trees Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Help with bent Stewartia Pseudocamellia sapling

Posted by shianlotta Zone 6, Brooklyn, NY (My Page) on
Tue, Apr 27, 10 at 16:33

Hello, everyone. I'm a tree newbie who would love some help with my Stewartia Pseudocamellia sapling (10 gallon size), which arrived from Forest Farm late last week. When I received it, I noticed the packaging was very sturdy and secure. After excitedly ripping it open, I was a bit perplexed, since although well packaged, the sapling was very long and flexible, with the leader bent at an angle. It was floppy. I removed the plastic and watered it, then allowed it to sit for a day before planting it in my shady garden in a part shade location. My soil (which I did not amend) is somewhat clay-like but with a lot of organic matter and many earthworms present. I thought perhaps the sapling would right itself, but it remains bent at approximately a 40-45 degree angle. I contacted Forest Farm, and Ray very promptly replied, telling me that the tree looks fine from pictures I sent and that the Stewartia Pseudocamellia has a zigzag branching habit. He said that if I wanted to I could try splinting the tree to straighten it out.

I would prefer not to splint or otherwise mess with the tree if this is unnecessary. However, I can't shake the feeling that the way the sapling bends is problematic. I have searched the internet and looked at many pictures, without seeing other specimens that bend this way. I would greatly appreciate it if you could offer me some advice or feedback. Am I being new-plant-neurotic? Do Stewartia Pseudocamellia saplings simply look this way? If not, will the tree self-correct and straighten up, or do I need to do something to help it along? I really appreciate any help you can provide - I've been very impressed with the posts on this forum! Thanks! (I have a picture and am trying to figure out how to upload it. It will follow soon.)

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Help with bent Stewartia Pseudocamellia sapling

Here are a couple of photos of the sapling. It's bending to the side and also towards the back.

another view of bent stewartia pseudocamellia sapling

bent stewartia pseudocamellia sapling

o
RE: Help with bent Stewartia Pseudocamellia sapling

It may need some corrective pruning but I'd wait until the roots get established. You also may want to think about another spot for it since it might want to look like this .

tj

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Trees Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here