Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jujujojo_gw

Uuh ... Tree of Heaven are everywhere! Please help me.

jujujojo_gw
9 years ago

It appears that these Tree of Heavens are everywhere around me. Please help me to remove them all. You can request chemicals from local agriculture department used to remove these invasive pests.

Here are some of the Tree of Heavens around me. They can't be mistaken because they have that shape of leaves.

Tree of Heaven No. 1
{{gwi:346482}}

Tree of Heaven No. 2

You see, they grow in to this vicius cluster because they are invasive. Uproot these now.
{{gwi:346483}}

Tree of Heaven No. 3
{{gwi:346484}}

Tree of Heaven No. 4
{{gwi:346485}}

Tree of Heaven No. 5
{{gwi:346486}}

Tree of Heaven No. 6
{{gwi:346489}}

Many more to come.

This post was edited by jujujojo on Mon, Apr 21, 14 at 16:48

Comments (23)

• hoovb zone 9 sunset 23
    9 years ago

Gentlemen (and Ladies), get your shovels.

• slowjane CA/ Sunset 21
    9 years ago

hold your horses jujujojo ;) - i'm pretty sure those are staghorn sumac...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rhus_typhina

Here is a link that might be useful: Tree of heaven lookalikes - go to page 12

• slowjane CA/ Sunset 21
    9 years ago

no wait up they are sumacs!

look at the link below!

sheesh there is a lot of tree of heaven panic here lately -including a post i made earlier today! but you are in the clear jujujojo!!

Here is a link that might be useful: Smooth Sumac

• lucky123
    9 years ago

I heard the Ag or Forestry would provide spray, advice and help. I asked and was told "No."
    I got rid of mine. The previous owner had encouraged ailanthus and some were huge. The ailanthus were encircling other trees. The ailanthus formed mats of humped up roots and literally uprooted one pine tree.
    At this time of year, I used Poison Ivy and Brush Killer, I think Ortho.
    I sawed all the bigger ailanthus down and painted the stumps with the Brush Killer. I sprayed the small stuff being careful to get all the leaf surfaces.
    Do Not Get Brush Killer spray or over spray on Any Other Plants. I have black locust and roses planted where I had to spray. The Brush Killer kills roots and if, like Black Locust, the roots are interconnected then it will kill whole groves of Black Locust.
    You must kill the roots, as Ailanthus root sprouts from the roots.
    In the Fall, before the Ailanthus go dormant, you can chop a slit around the trunk, a slit every few inches and spray into the slit. That works in Virginia. Do a google on it.
    After I sawed and sprayed, I kept a filled bottle of Brush Killer handy and every night for months and every week thereafter, I patrol and spray any root sprouts or seedlings. I dug out some of the stumps that were big and viciously root sprouting.
    It cost me money time and vigilance but I am ailanthus free.
    These ailanthus seeds were dropped from airplanes here to overgrow old strip mines. The trees of heaven are costing irrigation districts and cities $$$ to keep out of the water and now the trees are into the river. These trees kill native trees, grow like weeds and put out a toxin to kill other vegetation.
    Ag could care less.
    Good Luck..I got rid of mine and they said it couldn't be done!

• slowjane CA/ Sunset 21
    9 years ago

Before you break out the blowtorch....

Look closely at the leaves....

Tree of heaven is smooth on the edges - Sumac is toothed...

The link below is a good visual illustration of the difference...

I won't argue with you about how terrible Tree of Heaven is - but just make sure first...;)

Here is a link that might be useful: Sumac vs. Tree of Heaven

• NHBabs z4b-5a NH
    9 years ago

1, 3, and 5 are definitely staghorn sumac. The slightly fuzzy red berries look like no other plant. 2, 4, and 6 I'd need to see closer photos, but I think 2 is staghorn sumac in bloom.

Staghorn sumac has gorgeous fall color in the northern parts of the country where I have lived, and the berries are valuable winter food for birds. It does sucker, and that can be a problem if you have limited space.

• slowjane CA/ Sunset 21
    9 years ago

nailed it i think nhbabs -

i'm thinking #2 looks exactly like this picture i found of smooth sumac - more pictures in link below....

it's actually eerie how similar the images are...same lawn, similar background...this isn't a prank is it? lol.

the berries resemble toyon - or some kind of holly?

Here is a link that might be useful: smooth sumac

This post was edited by slowjane on Mon, Apr 21, 14 at 18:47

• lazy_gardens
    9 years ago

We killed a clump of them by "frilling" ... chop a ring around the tree so it leaves a trough and then use a foam paint brush to fill the trough with glyphosate to kill the roots.

A few largish sprouts were clipped and then dabbed with glyphosate immediately.

And systematically pulling up every sprout that showed its leaves from the root system. They are easy to pull.

Now we have three dead trees to remove, but they are DEAD!

• sam_md
    9 years ago

jjjj, your April fool's post is just about 20 days late xDDDDD

• lucky123
    9 years ago

Don't kill the Sumac
    A neighbor was complaining about my "poison oak." It was a small Box Elder tree :)

LazyGardens Phoenix,

The Tree Of Heaven? We call it the Tree From Hell

I say "I cut them."
    It took 3 men with chain saws 6 days, 10 hours a day to cut out a strip about 60 ft wide and 150 ft long.
    It was slow going because of structures, other valuable plantings
    10 cords of wood
    The Cottonwood, Mulberry, Box Elders and Black Locust are growing in thick now, The mesquite, which was almost smothered and dead is growing back. I almost lost a Sycamore that had been encircled. The matted roots of the Ailanthus grow under the roots of other trees and soak up all the water and nutrients, killing valuable natives. A circle of ailanthus killed a pine which fell into an Arizona Cypress, damaging it.
    I saw a embankment in town that had been covered with mesquites now covered with Tree from Hell. The mesquites are dead.
    It is expensive, time consuming and sometimes frustrating to get rid of, but We Did It!

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    9 years ago

cut at ground level.. apply full strength ... 41% round up or stump killer to the cambian layer .. according the label ... no diluted RU ...

use something like the very expensive applicator at the link .. this is NOT a spray thing ...

absolutely no waste... including not wasting a foam brush ...

you can return the unused product to the properly labeled container ...

and if it does pop up nearby.. snip with hand shears and apply one drip to cut ..

ken

Here is a link that might be useful: link

• jujujojo_gw
    Original Author
    9 years ago

â¢Posted by sam_md z7 MD (My Page) on Mon, Apr 21, 14 at 19:40

Sam, do you realize the reality, simplicity or complexity of human society? ... the unexpected outcome ... I once went to an expensive lawyer's office. He had a statue of jaguar from an expensive black stone. My friend, who is a mathematician, marveled what animal that was. Eventually, he was very sure that it was a kangaroo because he saw some during his last vacation. He identified it as a kangaroo from the strong muscle on the leg of the statue.

This post was edited by jujujojo on Tue, Apr 22, 14 at 19:57

• jujujojo_gw
    Original Author
    9 years ago

â¢Posted by hoovb z9 Southern CA (My Page) on Mon, Apr 21, 14 at 16:55

â¢Posted by lucky123 none (My Page) on Mon, Apr 21, 14 at 17:18

â¢Posted by lazygardens PhxAZ%3A Sunset 13 (My Page) on Mon, Apr 21, 14 at 18:54

Some posters claim these are all natives. Sam suggested that none of the above is actually a Tree of Heaven. I cannot believe it. Why do they behave so invasive? What are they?

• Smivies (Ontario - 5b)
    9 years ago

@jujujojo

"Some posters claim these are all natives. Sam suggested that none of the above is actually a Tree of Heaven. I cannot believe it. Why do they behave so invasive? What are they?"

You've already named them all in Photobucket.

Being successful doesn't mean a species is invasive. Each of those species (especially the Sumac) is quite successful in the habitat for which it is best adapted. Sumac is a good colonizer of open fields and mostly intolerant of shade so once the larger trees start to establish, the Sumac disappears. Black Walnut couldn't be called invasive (doesn't act that way) and neither is Mountain Ash in their native ranges.

• NHBabs z4b-5a NH
    9 years ago

Seriously jujujojo, much of what you posted is sumac, not tree of heaven, some smooth sumac I think, and several staghorn sumac, I am quite sure.

As Smivies said, staghorn sumac is one of several native early colonizers of open field, sprouting and growing quickly once the field is no longer mowed. (White pine and various wild cherries do the same thing here, though don't spread colonially via roots like the sumac and aspen, another early colonizer of old fields.) That isn't to say that other non-native plants won't take advantage of similar situations and fill in. IME many native plants are more likely to coexist well with others than many of the non-natives like tree of heaven or buckthorn, which seed prolifically and crowd out the natives.

IMO, sumac is one of those right plant, right place genera because they do sucker. We maintain one large clump of staghorn sumac in an area where we and the wildlife can appreciate it, but its spread can be contained through mowing. When we bought our old farm, the fields were starting to grow up in sumac, but with several mowings a year early on, and now 2 or 3 mowings a year with a brush hog (heavy duty tractor pulled mower) the field stays clear of small trees and shrubs, including sumac.

If you have space for some sumac and the time and equipment to maintain it, it's a wonderful plant. The fruit (those fuzzy red clumps that are in photos 1, 3, and 5) are good food for various birds, along with the insects that live in the clumps. Fall color is stunning, a mix of chartreuse, gold, orange and red, and many birds use them for nesting and habitat. I have a wonderful memory of finding an old field full of sumac while walking one day that was hopping with cedar waxwings, and where I used to work there was a long stretch of it that had robins in it all fall and winter.
    Sumac along an old field edge in the farm next to us

From September 28, 2014

and here's the top of our clump on the far left, a bit more orange than the clump above.
    {{gwi:54000}}From 2013

Here is a link to a blog where she talks about insect eating birds liking the critters in the sumac:
    http://naturallycuriouswithmaryholland.wordpress.com/2011/12/15/staghorn-sumac-seed-heads-and-their-inhabitants/
    and the link below is about birds that use the fruit as late winter food.

Here is a link that might be useful: songbirds and sumac

• jujujojo_gw
    Original Author
    9 years ago

â¢Posted by nhbabs z4b-5a NH (My Page) on Sat, Dec 6, 14 at 12:17

I am a lover of sumac.

• wisconsitom
    9 years ago

Surely this entire thread is a joke......right? Anyone with the smidgeon of knowledge it takes to know there's a tree called Tree of Heaven and that this tree is not native here in N. America then should also know about the plants called sumacs, which these pictures all are of, and that sumacs are native and in the right place, desirable plants.

Sheesh, somebody's got way too much free time!

+oM

• jujujojo_gw
    Original Author
    9 years ago

â¢Posted by wisconsitom 4/5 WI (My Page) on Mon, Jan 26, 15 at 9:39

quote +oM "should also know about the plants called sumacs, which these pictures all are of,"

Please check the pictures again. Thanks.

• wisconsitom
    9 years ago

Okay, I'm not always right, lol! The second pic is T of H, the first is clearly staghorn sumac, with a variety of unidentified items scattered about the remainder of the thread. Quite a confusing mess. All I can tell you, ju, is, learn to differentiate between at least those two species, since you appear to have both occurring in the same area. I say 'appear' because I can't for the life of me determine if your query is a serious one or a joke. Something's off in this whole thing.

+om

• Smivies (Ontario - 5b)
    9 years ago

@wisconsitom - #2 is actually a male sumac, not Ailanthus.

• lkz5ia
    9 years ago

Tom, just view the image names, they will tell you what every pic is. this has been done in other topics by the OP, and the images clearly already say what they are, so a joke, trivia, or whatever...

• jujujojo_gw
    Original Author
    9 years ago

â¢Posted by lkz5ia z5 west iowa (My Page) on Tue, Jan 27, 15 at 9:58

I have encountered people removing Native trees mistaken them as Tree of Heaven. When I told them, they reacted with violence.

This post was edited by jujujojo on Tue, Jan 27, 15 at 12:06

• wisconsitom
    9 years ago

Not one of my better thread participations, meh. Probably should have left my head stuck in the FQI (Floristic Quality Index) spreadsheet!

+oM