Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mcgyvr2009i

White Pine Tree seedling progress

mcgyvr2009i
10 years ago

Helo GW. I just want to show the progress of my Pinus Strobus and ask a question.

Feb 4, 2012
{{gwi:346518}}This is when it first sprouted as a seedling
Feb 15, 2012
{{gwi:346519}}This is about 2 weeks later when it sprouted it's first official needles

June 19, 2012
{{gwi:346520}}This is the photo I took before the plant went dormant about three months later.

April 5, 2013
{{gwi:346521}}
This is how much growth I've seen in less than a month. SWEET!!!

Here's an analysis of this photo:
{{gwi:346522}}
You can see that it's growing 10 times faster than last year.

Here's my question though,

Since I'm only raising it until I feel comfortable planting it in the wild, tending it until it's first dormancy in the ground, I was wondering. The only white pines in the area within pollination diameter where I'm going to plant this is a bunch of spruces and maybe a scots pine but no white pines. Are the flowers on a White Pine hermaphrodite or do I need to grow another one or two for pollination? Can it cross pollinate with the scots pine and produce healthy seedlings? Thanks in advance.

Comments (7)

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    10 years ago

are you suggesting.. that there isnt another white pine in the state of NY????

the simpler question would be.. how far can pollen float in the air in the state of NY to cross pollinate a Pinus strobus ... and with the latin name.. google might work for that answer ....

and are you aware.. it might take a decade or so.. for it to cone ...

and is there a reason it cant go outside for summer ... once hardened off to sun.. sunlight will grow this thing much faster than indoor light ...

and this: The only white pines in the area within pollination diameter where I'm going to plant this is a bunch of spruces

spruces wont pollinate a pine ... ever ..

i can read.. that you are excited... congrats.. it is really as easy as it was ...

good luck
    ken

• mcgyvr2009i
    Original Author
    10 years ago

No, we have thousands of wild specimens and hundreds of landscape specimens in Schenectady alone but in my specific area, there are only spruces and one scots pine. Plus, I will put it back outside in a few weeks. I just have to re-harden it. But otherwise it's growing very fast and healthy. I'm just wondering if a scots pine can pollinate it or if the flowers are hermaphrodite.

• canadianplant
    10 years ago

I do believe pine are male/female (conifers have sperm and eggs). The good thing is that the tree produced BOTH cones. That doesnt make it a hermaphrodite, but for all intensive purposes, its "self pollinating". I would assume (thats a guess) pollination is better with another tree.

• mcgyvr2009i
    Original Author
    10 years ago

So in other words, you say to plant more than one white pine? I tried to grow others from seed but failed miserably. I will try again when I can get a hold of more seeds. Probably within the week.

Thank you both! I really appreciate it.

• mcgyvr2009i
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Oops! I noticed an error in the first post on this thread.

I wrote:
    "The only WHITE PINES in the area within pollination diameter where I'm going to plant this is a bunch of spruces and maybe a scots pine but no white pines."

I meant to write:
    "The only CONIFERS in the area within pollination diameter (ABOUT 50FT) where I'm going to plant this is a bunch of spruces and maybe a scots pine but no white pines."

• poaky1
    10 years ago

That's neat that you are growing a Pinus strobus from seed. I have 2 in my yard but gave up the growing of the seed because of space issues. Good luck.

• poaky1
    10 years ago

I would plant it in it's permanent home now. It can get it's roots growing now for future drought problems. You are zone 5B, it surely can take your winters, even at it's small size.

Sponsored
EA Home Design
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars69 Reviews
Loudoun County's Trusted Kitchen & Bath Designers | Best of Houzz