Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
franktank232

Name this oak seedling

franktank232
12 years ago

I've got a few oak seedlings, and this one is the furthest along (part because I put it in the greenhouse). It *may* be from seed I picked up in N Wisconsin (Hayward area) a couple years ago, but it also may be from a local oak (that I picked while hiking)...I really need to keep better records!

{{gwi:346638}}

Thanks for the help...

It looks to be from polyembryonic seed...do I just cut off the smaller of the two? I also will be going up a size in the pot or planting in the ground shortly... It looks like it may need a hit of nitrogen.

Comments (14)

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    12 years ago

considering my oaks havent even leafed out yet near ann arbor MI .. your presumption of a fert need over slow cold growth might be a bit premature ...

that said.. lets call it bob.. and bobs your uncle.. and be done with it.. lol

ken

• franktank232
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Yeah.. I cheat with the greenhouse. Plants just love that hot/humid environment.

• hortster
    12 years ago

In the red oak group - 'tis all that can be determined. It sometimes takes two to three years to determine the leaning of the seedling. "Leaning" being what it could become...
    hortster

• denninmi
    12 years ago

The taller one looks like a Howard to me. The shorter one looks like a George. ;-)

• sanctified
    12 years ago

What size is that pot and is it just a regular nursery pot? How long has it been going? Just this year?

Thanks, I just planted some acorns in my raised beds and am going to plant more when my order of pots comes Friday.

• jqpublic
    12 years ago

It kind of looks like a chinkapin oak, but that's a white oak.

• j0nd03
    12 years ago

Definitely Quercus michauxii ;)

• lucky_p
    12 years ago

It's a seedling of a member of the white oak group - no spines on the tips of the leaf lobes.
    Beyond that, it's a guess - leaves on seedling oaks often look nothing like those of mature specimens of the species.
    Could be bur oak, could be a hybrid, you'll just have to wait a bit to see.
    Native range of Q.michauxii does not extend into to WI.

• franktank232
    Original Author
    12 years ago

This will be the 3rd summer since it sprouted from an acorn. The pot size I think is a 3 gallon (not good for tap roots!).

It came from Wisconsin, but it could have been planted.

Sounds like I'll have to wait and see.

I wish I would have taken pictures of those trees I picked acorns from in Hayward.

Its sad that in my neighborhood, very few oaks have been planted (more like none). Mostly maples.

Thanks for the help.

• j0nd03
    12 years ago

Lucky P - a far outlying population of q michuaxii no doubt ;)

Frank, gonna be several more years probably before you have a good feel for the heritage here. Mature bark and acorns will help, although twig ID drawings could be helpful now. With oaks you always want to ID the acorn bearing tree if possible before collecting. This still does not rule out hybrids, but at least you know half the genetics. My guess was a joke (hence the winking smiley), I did not mean for it to be taken seriously.

John

• poaky1
    12 years ago

It could also be Q Prinus or Q. Muehlenbergii. I know, it could be a red oak family tree too. Chestnut oak may be too fast growing to be the correct answer if that is a 3 year old seedling. It probably really is a Chinkapin, I think Swamp chestnut (Muehlinbergii) has different looking teeth. Oh, time will tell.

• jqpublic
    12 years ago

The Chinkapin oak is the only one in that range with that leave shape.

• nutsaboutnuts
    11 years ago

Almost looks like English Oak ..... Quercus robur

• 10jdjean
    11 years ago

Its not Chinkapin oak, which is very uncommon in Northern Wisconsin. Its most likely a seedling swamp oak or Quercus bicolor, which is much more common in those parts. Quercus bicolor is often lumped together with chestnut oaks in the white oak grouping; Hence, the confusion people have regarding this seedling. The main white oaks of wisconsin are; white oak, bur oak, and swamp oak. There is a tiny smattering of chinkapin oak in the extreme southern and western corner of the state.