Return to the Trees Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Container trees?

Posted by woodswalker88 6 (My Page) on
Thu, Apr 19, 12 at 16:49

I just got a package of trees from Arbor Day. It was mostly the crape myrtle & redbud that I wanted, but there's dogwoods, crabapple etc. They are twigs about 16" ft long.

Now that I have them, I'm like "what do I want these for?" Since I sent Arborday my contribution last year, we have planted mucho shrubs & trees in the yard & I don't think I have room for any more.

I could just toss them & forget them, but I wonder if I could just plant them in containers and keep trimming them & just keep them the size of shrubs?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Container trees?

There's a great post in the container growing forum about growing trees in containers. It can be done, but will require root pruning every two or three years. Otherwise the roots become a big woody tangle that takes up the whole pot, leaving too little space for the feeder roots.

Alex

o

Why not grow them on for a while and you might be surprised to find a space for another one and undoubtedly a relative or neighbor will end up wanting the rest after they've grown a couple years.
Cher

o

Pot them up and if you decide you don't want them put them on Freecycle or Craig's list- I hate to see a viable tree "tossed."
Someone will want them.

o

I unloaded a surplus of trees on a large tree order to a local nursery as a donation. I told them they could sell them or give them away to employees or customers. They gladly took them and potted them up.

John

o

the neighbor once got some from AD ...

i wadded them all together.. and jammed them in one single one gal pot.. and ignored them until fall .. half lived.. half didnt ... which was the best success i ever had on multiple attempts.. lol ..

IMHO.. arbor day is a fine place for a donation ... but dont expect much on the product..

if you really want a given plant.. go buy it ...

anyway.. the MOST IMPORTANT thing with trees/shrubs.. in a pot.. is the potting MEDIA.. and it has nothing to do with soil/mother earth ...

one of the best EASY solutions.. is a bag of cactus mix media .. drainage is the most important factor .. and they do not like excess water.. like perennials/annuals...

ken

ps: i would toss them.. and forget.. but why not experiment ??? but for the further cost of the MEDIA... and that is your choice ...

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Trees Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here