Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tierra_gw

Shade Tree for Small Front Yard

tierra
10 years ago

Hi everyone! I live in California, near Sacramento, Zone 9. I need to choose a shade tree for my front yard. It must be deciduous and hopefully not drop too much fruit or mess. I am thinking a Natchez Crepe Myrtle or Krauter Vesuvius Flowering Plum. Or maybe a Krauter Vesvius AND a Purple Pony plum. Any advice or suggestions would be very much appreciated!

Here's a pic of my front yard. Happy spring everyone!

Comments (13)

• Embothrium
    10 years ago

How big of an area are you trying to shade?

• tierra
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Well... it is a small yard so I'm looking at 20 feet diameter and a medium sized tree... maybe 25 feet high.

• Desirai
    10 years ago

We have a tree in our front yard, Acer negundo.

It's an excellent shade tree. we have our picnic table underneath it.

It's over 25 years old and only about as tall as our house. Every 5 years or so we have someone come and trim it back so it doesn't get too leggy.

I've climbed that tree many many times!!

:)

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    10 years ago

i am with bboy.. i dont understand what you are trying to shade ...

if you want to shade the house.. i dont think any of these trees will accomplish such ...

and if it the pavement.. proper placement.. would probably not accomplish much ...

but then.. what do you accomplish with shading only the grass ... it will be a decade before they shade the windows.... but sooner if its a sight block rather than shade ...

so... for better suggestions.. i suggest you delineate.. what your goal is.. both for yourself.. and for our help ...

ken

• whitecap
    10 years ago

Nice lawn. It's begging for a tree. A purple leaf plum would be striking, but will require quite a bit more water than a crepe myrtle to keep it from getting ragged, late in the year, particularly in full sun (they do prefer a little shade.) If you go with a crepe myrtle, you might check to make sure you're getting one bred for mildew resistance. Some varieties also give more vivid fall color than others. The larger varieties will grow more rapidly, and give you showier trunks. You can easily control their size with a little judicious pruning. Once established, they're hard to kill.

• Embothrium
    10 years ago

25 ft. is a small tree. If you want a tree in that range then a purple-leaved plum would be of suitable size. 'Purple Pony' is a seedling of 'Krauter's Vesuvius' that has a strange branching pattern, wherein the branches tend to cluster close to one another in a manner that could drive someone that thinks trees should have a perfectly spaced and organized branching crazy. You should probably just stick to the 'Krauter's Vesuvius'.

Otherwise, the Sacramento Capitol campus is planted as a tree park, with often labeled trees spaced about the whole area. Many of them are quite large, have been in place a long time. You might want to go walk around there, see if you see something new to you, that grabs your interest. Displays of long-established specimens like this one (mostly) is can help you visualize what you might be installing on your lot, for yourself or a future occupant.

• jbraun_gw
    10 years ago

As a few others have said, all of the trees you mentioned are considered small trees and not shade trees. To be a shade tree you really need to go to 50'-60'.

That said, Lag. Natchez is a great tree but is kind of slow. In the lawn it will grow faster because of the water. Prunus c. Krauters Vesuvius is listed at 18' in Sunset. Great purple leaves all season, no fall color. Let me throw in another specimen, Magnolia souliangiana. Grows to 25'. Sunset says it's a good lawn tree. Good spring purple flowers, not much fall color.

I would give up on shade if you want to keep your lawn and other plants looking good.

If you do want shade my favorite tree is Acer freemanii Autumn Blaze or A. f. October Glory.Both grow fast to 60'. Nyssa sylvatica or Tupelo grows 30'-50'. Moderately slow, WONDERFUL fall leaves.

I hope this helps you clarify your needs. By the way, if you do plant a tree I'd suggest about 10'-12' in a line between the door and the window to the left of the door.
    Help your tree out by removing about a 5'-6' circle of grass, then mulch. This keeps weed eaters away from the base of the tree.

Good Luck.

• scotjute Z8
    10 years ago

Eastern Red Bud is a drought/heat resistant tree to 25-30' with lavender flower display in early spring. The Texas variety is smaller but more heat/drought resistant. There is a California native variety which I assume is similar to the others.

Mexican Plum is another small tree about the same size with similar characteristics but with a white flower display in the spring.

• tierra
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Wonderful suggestions and thank you all. I think I am going to give up on shade as suggested. The summers here are soooo hot and I'm tempted to plant a tree that will just shade everything like a lot of people have in the neighborhood. But as been pointed out, that means no pretty plants in the front. So, I'm going to stay to 20-25 feet which I believe will top the roof, right?

I ]]just love Magnolia and I think they are the most beautiful trees, however, I am very allergic to the blooms! Wahhh too bad because there are some really pretty ones.

I like Redbuds, but I aren't those are multi-trunked trees? Can they be kept to one long single trunk? I mean can you buy a standard or something?

Oh, and I am DEFINITELY going on a field trip to Sacramento Capitol park as suggested. What a great idea!

You guys have been very helpful Please feel free to add any other tree suggestions you might have. Thanks again.

• gardener365
    10 years ago

Rhus chinensis. I grow mine as a single stem (tree). All it took was a bit of training to grow it that way.. very simple.

Dax

• drpraetorius
    10 years ago

I'm, not sure if they are hardy in Sacramento, I personally love Jacaranda. Decent shade and unforgettable blossoms

• tierra
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Oh my goodness, that photo is amazing. I have always wanted a jacaranda. I think though that my teensy front yard won't be able to handle that large a tree, but thank you so much for your suggestion. I have another house I'm planning where I will HAVE to have the jacaranda. It's so glorious. I have seen acer October Sky at a local nursery and it is indeed a beautiful tree. I can see how it could be a favorite. Another one I must have one day!

Allergies or not, this is not my forever house, just a place I'm living in for a few years so I think need to consider a Chinese magnolia. I must be the only freak in the world allergic to it and it's is a lovely tree. I have seen some Chinese sumac's in the yards around here but did not think you could keep these to a single trunk. What to choose! Such good suggestions, thanks again!

• lou_spicewood_tx
    10 years ago

Shantung maple.

Here is a link that might be useful: Shantung maple