Return to the Trees Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Are very young box elder seeds red?

Posted by arugula 4/5 Wisconsin (My Page) on
Mon, Apr 23, 12 at 17:28

Hello,

Trying to ID a tree I'm almost certain is box elder, but I'm confused by the red seeds, which is not typical, as far as I've read.

Is it the case that the young red seeds turn yellow/green/brown throughout the growing season?

Thanks in advance!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Are very young box elder seeds red?

Red Maple has young red seeds right about now. You are correct, box elder does not.

o

Might you be looking at an Amur maple-Acer ginnala? Those seeds are often quite red. Given the increasing invasive threat of Amur maple, we've taken to calling it "Chines box elder". But yes I know, occasionally, they make attractive landscape specimens!

+oM

o

Acer ginnala should be flowering in the next couple of weeks in Wisconsin (as the leaves expand) whereas Acer rubrum & saccharinum have already flowered and the samaras are developing rapidly now. Acer negundo flowers just as the leaves break bud and the samara develop over the summer so seeing young samara now is unlikely.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Trees Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here