Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ms_idaho

Nice looking tree but I don't have a clue what it is

ms.idaho
11 years ago

Looks like a possible fruit tree. We bought this place in winter so I don't have much other info than a photo. I'd like to know if we can prune the bottom branches off to be able to walk underneath it.

Thanks!

Comments (12)

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    11 years ago

can we have a pic of the buds...

and perhaps.. in a week or two.. the leaves ...

you are really stretching our ID abilities here.. lol

you trim ANY branches you want.. with a good pruning saw.. or a sawzall with a tree blade ... snap a pic of the branches you want off.. and we can photoshop where the cut should be ...

ALL OF MY TREES ARE PRUNED UP SO I CAN WALK UNDER THEM.. WITHOUT POKING MY EYES OUT ... i am the lord of my domain...

and it does NOT matter what kind of trees they are ....

ken

• lou_spicewood_tx
    11 years ago

Go ahead and prune the bottom branches off. Like Ken said, I want to be able to walk around without getting my eye poked out.

• Embothrium
    11 years ago

Yes: too far from camera.

• gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    11 years ago

Actually, most trees should have a few years establishment on them before you start limbing up. Lower limbs help to develop good trunk girth and root development. Limbing up should be a very gradual process, starting somewhere around the 5th year inground.

• WxDano
    11 years ago

Gal, I'm sending my wife to this thread. She wants to start messing with a Crataegus in the ground for its third year. wish me luck!

• famartin
    11 years ago

Hard to tell but I'd wager that the tree in the photo has been in the ground for 5 years or more. You can limb it up.

As to what species it is... really hard to tell from such a distance... but maybe crabapple? hawthorne? wild-ass guesses, really...

• ms.idaho
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Here is a closer look. I am guessing this tree has been here for a bit...seems like most trees were planted in the late 90s when the place was built, although I really have no idea if that's the case with this one.

I did notice a crown of suckers about 3 feet away from the trunk. I stepped n it with bare feet. Ouch. This might help with ID?

• flora_uk
    11 years ago

Apple or Crabapple.

• lucky_p
    11 years ago

or, could be a pear.

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    11 years ago

devils advocate here.. in line with what i said in your crab ID post ...

its a piece of CARP ... get rid of it ...

attach no sentimental value on this thing ....

looks like you have a lot of work in your new backyard .... and i suggest you start by getting rid of this thing ....

once the yard is bulldozed ... we would be glad.. to help you come up with a useful.. integrated planting scheme for planting this fall ....

now.. if this thing is some kind of sight block for peeps behind you.. lets leave it there for a while.. a few years.. until you plant something further out from the house.. to replace the site block... then it can go ....

and if that is a sliding door off to the right ... think about a deck or patio ....

and i just had my old non-running hot tub hauled out the day before yesterday ... fixing it would have cost more than a new one ....

good luck

ken

ps: but if you want to prune it back into shape.. we will gladly help you with that .... i am only playing devils advocate ....

• Embothrium
    11 years ago

I'd say it was a pear, which is what it looked like from a distance as well. If an orchard pear that is able to bear fruits you can use there, maybe you would value it.

• calliope
    11 years ago

I'm not following you Ken. Why would you consider this tree a piece of cr*p? You're not even sure yet just what it is.