Return to the Trees Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Borderline timing

Posted by whaas 5a SE WI (My Page) on
Sat, Apr 6, 13 at 18:02

Finally able to plant but I have a few plants that have swelling buds. Do I get them planted now or hold them for several weeks.

Just not sure if these swelling buds are are subject to freeze damage. Mid 20s are surely going to creep up in the next several weeks.

One is Carpinus and the other Hydrangea.

photo photo-5.jpg

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Borderline timing

I would protect them. Have run into the problem on shipped plants a number of times. The problem is not so much their state now, it's the fact that once the buds are activated, they ain't stopp'in. They can be slowed down some by persistent cold, but a warm day or two, and away they will go to get slammed by later cold. Also just so you are aware, some are seeing signals in the weather models that indicate that the March pattern may return again by the middle of the month.

Arktrees

o
RE: Borderline timing

• Posted by whaas 5a SE WI (My Page) on
    Sat, Apr 6, 13 at 22:34

Thats the other thing I was wondering as to whether they'd just "pause".

I'm so impatient I planted the hydrangea but it was just barely showing a bit of green. I'll likely hold off on the Carpinus...such a pain to baby the thing for almost a month though.

Yes, I've heard April is supposed to be colder than normal. The damn 30s for a high return later in the week. So basically 20 degrees below the average high.

At least today warmed up pretty good to 58. I got quite a bit of transplanting done even though several areas had frost yet.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Trees Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here