Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
zitiwaffle

White flaky stuff on my cherry tree

zitiwaffle
9 years ago

My cherry tree is only a couple years old, but I noticed it has this white flaky stuff on it. I'm afraid something is really wrong with the tree, but I'm hoping some of you can shed some light on it for me!

Comments (20)

• zitiwaffle
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Here's another picture.

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    9 years ago

they are fungus of some sort.. indicated the wood below the bark is rotting ...

why is it bound up in heavy rope

why was it not properly pruned after its significant damage ...

there are also improper pruning cuts.. that did not heal over allowing moisture into the structural wood ..

and i am going to guess ... you have some significant suckering.. coming up from below ....

the tree is a mess .. time to plant a new one ... and either get rid of this one.. or spend the next 5 or 10 years watching it fall apart ...

ken

• whaas_5a
    9 years ago

Holy jeez, I'd be concerned about that rope. Is that left side branch being choked out by it?

An abrasive rope is an absolute no no for trees. Cherry tree is a thin barked tree to boot.

• zitiwaffle
    Original Author
    9 years ago

That was originally put on the tree for support when it was planted 18 months ago (I know nothing about trees, unfortunately). It this tree really done for? I don't want to waste my time with it if it is. Thanks for your input, I really appreciate it.

• eibren
    9 years ago

Since you will probably not remove the tree immediately, at least remove the rope to see if that will help short term, and watch this spring to see if the tree leafs out. Maybe it will even flower. Then you can decide what further action to take.

If the tree has been girdled, there is a grafting method that could help. The sprouts could be cut in short lengths and used to bridge the bad spots in the bark. You would need to read up on that first; it's too complicated to explain in a brief post.

In my area cherry trees are short lived because of a disease they catch. If you are in an area where they live longer, it would definitely be better to replace the tree with a healthy one that would be long lived.

• zitiwaffle
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks Eibren, I just went and removed it. Hopefully it recovers some. Those pictures make the tree look pretty bad, it's just that small area that's messed up. I guess I'll just watch it this year and see what happens.

• zitiwaffle
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Sorry Ken, trying to learn tree terms as fast as I can here. Yes, definitely some significant tree suckering going on. I'm guessing that's more proof my tree is screwed? Should I cut those off? If there were improper pruning cuts, it would be from the nursery that I got the trees from (part of a new build of my home). I haven't pruned the tree myself. Thanks again for everyone's help.

• brandon7 TN_zone7
    9 years ago

"I(s) this tree really done for?"

Yes, it is in very bad shape and is probably not going to get any better. You could post an overall picture if the posted pictures are deceiving about how much of the tree is involved, but it's in trouble in any case.

I would recommend a single pruning cut at ground level immediately followed by an application of non-diluted glyphosate (RoundUp, etc) or triclopyr ( Brush-B-Gon, etc) to the freshly exposed phloem. Only a very small amount (teaspoon?) of chemical will be needed.

• brandon7 TN_zone7
    9 years ago

The suckers are very likely the result of the upper part of the tree completely failing. Unusual amount of suckers are usually in response to either lots of pruning or dieback. Definitely remove any from below the graft. If you are going to keep the tree for a while, give us an overall pic or two if you can.

That little stub may be from a branch that was broken off rather than pruned.

• zitiwaffle
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I'll take pictures of the entire tree tomorrow morning and post them on here so you can see the whole tree. I kind of flaked off most of that white fungus stuff, so there's really only a patch left where that stake was touching the tree. How much would it cost to have a professional dig out the tree and plant a new one?

• Toronado3800 Zone 6 St Louis
    9 years ago

I would hazard a guess of a couple hundred bucks for a pro to come by. It really varies by location and access.

Is that THE spot or can you plant a few feet away? I find a three or four foot tree in a couple gallon pot to be a transplant to do myself. Larger, yuck. Too much work. FWIW, them larger trees are more difficult to move around and I'm more likely to damage.

Its terrible when a tree isn't making it. The time involved sucks even if the investment isn't soo great.

On the bright side, if it is suckering that means the roots did well enough with your aftercare that a new tree probably stands a chance.

• arktrees
    9 years ago

IMHO, that tree is done for, it's only a matter of time. There appears to be sunken lesions visible in the second picture indicating cambium death. In addition in the lower right corner of the second pic appear to be a branch is another large lesion that actually has a crack in the middle of it. Likely causes are poor handling, poor planting, and poor after planting care. Or some combination of these. All extremely common due to lack of understanding. Time to go looking for a replacement IMHO.

Arktrees

• brandon7 TN_zone7
    9 years ago

Did you have that tree planted? If so, have you considered contacting the nursery (the owner) to see if they are willing to do anything. You said that you had had the tree for only a couple of years, and that tree has had problems for a while. Sure, the tree is "out of warranty", but that doesn't mean that the nursery wouldn't be willing to work with you, and possibly considerably.

If you planted the tree, or were there when it was planted, review the page linked below and compare what actually happened to what should have happened.

As for getting someone to remove the tree and plant a new one, are you physically able to do that kind of thing, or do you have someone (family, neighbor, friend, etc) that is? With a small chainsaw (or even a good sharp pruning saw), a shovel, and an ax or mattock, the job wouldn't take very long at all. I would have it out and gone in about 15 minutes.

Here is a link that might be useful: Planting a Tree or Shrub

• tsugajunkie z5 SE WI ♱
    9 years ago

Looks like it could be some sort of Armillaria fungus. Not much hope for the tree.

tj

• zitiwaffle
    Original Author
    9 years ago

The tree was planted by some nursery when my home was built around 18 months ago. Of course, the warranty on the tree is only one year, but I can contact them and see what they say. Obviously it had issues before I ever got it. The tree is at least a few years old, judging from its height (probably around 20 feet). I've never taken a tree out of the ground, I guess I just don't know how. I don't see why I wouldn't be able to, though.

• jean001a
    9 years ago

The white growths on the tree don't indicate armillaria.

It indicates a wood rotter that's in the tree growing on dead wood.
    Breaking off the external white growths doesn't get rid of the problem.

Even if no recourse is available from the seller, get rid of this tree then, if wanted, get a fresh new tree.

Don't beat yourself up. Life is a series of live-and-learn experiences.

• zitiwaffle
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you to all of you who responded. I'm just going to go ahead and get a new tree as soon as I can, no point in keeping this one any longer than I have to.

• brandon7 TN_zone7
    9 years ago

Go with something more reliable than Prunus-type trees. They are mostly short-lived anyway. And let me know if you have any questions about the planting guide, linked above. It may be helpful when you are installing the new tree.

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    9 years ago

its a goner.. but in tree years.. that could be a year or two ... but be done with it ...

yes it has to go ...

if you replace it yourself.. go at least half the size... and follow every instruction in brandons link ...

its easier on you.. and the tree .. weight.. movning it.. etc ..

there is a false dichotomy on instant gratification with large tree transplants ... and you will save a lot of money ...

and no real need to pay a pro to come plant a 4 footer ...

you can probably do much better than a cherry ... for that space.. go with more of an heritage tree ... start a new post if you want suggests ...

ken