Return to the Trees Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Small sized tree

Posted by E511 NW Oklahoma (My Page) on
Thu, Apr 4, 13 at 18:14

Hi all! I'm looking for a 8-15 foot tree I could plant in my yard. It will be planted in about a 5 foot wide space between our concrete patio and fence. Gets mostly sun until about 3 in the afternoon when the fence casts a shadow on that part of the yard. Any suggestions welcome.

I recently tore out all the grass (read: weeds) in this extension area, and will be putting rocks down to help reduce some mowing - but wondered if the rocks might make it too hot, so was thinking about a nice small tree (can't be huge, neighbor's house is relatively close) to provide some shade.

Any help is great, thanks guys!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Small sized tree

What USDA zone are you in? If zone 6b or 7, I'd recommend Yaupon holly. You may be too cold for that though.

o

Texas or Mexican Redbud. There's also an Ok. Redbud that has redder flowers but unsure of its size.
Mexican Plum is typically in the 15' range also.
Can think of 2-3 more but would have to look up to see if they can survive in your zone.

o

• Posted by E511 none (My Page) on
    Fri, Apr 5, 13 at 14:43

We're in 6b. All those sounds great, and now that I've seen the Yaupon holly I notice my neighbors have quite a few of them!

Thanks guys!

o

serviceberry?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Trees Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here