Return to the Trees Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Dogwoods help fast.

Posted by gardenapprentice none (My Page) on
Sun, Apr 22, 12 at 18:17

My aunt, brought a dogwood about 1 week ago. The nursery planted it and put in what I think is a northeast position. One problem is one little wilted leaf and a spot or two on a few leaves. Is something wrong... or is it just establishing its environment. They also surronded it with some dirt with some straw is it acidic enough and she also put the dogwood in full sun. any tips so we don't loose this tree (ps it may be a white tree)

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Dogwoods help fast.

Where are you? What type of dogwood are we talking about? This can make a significant difference, especially in whether the full-sun exposure is ideal.

ONE wilted leaf and A spot or TWO! Unless it's a plastic tree, this doesn't sound unusual at all (even for an established tree).

As for whether there are any problems, you haven't given us anything to base an answer on, so far at least.

o
RE: Dogwoods help fast.

im in south east tennessee and the dogwood is cornus florida and by one wilted leaf i mean its been kinda weatherd down

o
RE: Dogwoods help fast

Cornus florida planted in full-sun in east Tennessee is the norm and will not be a problem at all.

o
thanks

thanks a bunch what if the temps are 90+? should I water weekly

o
RE: Dogwoods help fast...PS

The best way to determine how often you should water is to check for moisture levels around AND in the rootball. Take a look at section 12 in the link below. Here in my area (Knoxville), once a week probably isn't quite enough in very hot weather, but you shouldn't really use someone else's watering situation to judge your own because conditions might vary.

BTW, I hope you chose one of the more disease resistant cultivars.

Here is a link that might be useful: see Section 12

o
dogwood

thanks for the link and im about 200 miles from you (ooltewah)
and im sad to say but one dogwood died thanks to tyty nursery by disease but were looking at some well known cultivatars and have placed an order about 10 minutes ago. thankyou so much again :P

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Trees Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here