Return to the Trees Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Newly planted Leylands turning brown on inside.

Posted by drewzilla 7 (My Page) on
Sat, Apr 28, 12 at 18:20

I have planted two Leyland Cypress trees about 2 months ago. They were 15gal and about 7ft from the soil. Ever since I planted them they have started to slowly turn a golden or brown color from the inside. I put two fertilizer spikes around each, even though the package recommended 3 for the size. I hope its not burning them. Also i tried to water them twice a week. The weather has been nice to cool for the majority of the time they've been planted and its rainied very week for the past two weeks. I have pictures but not sure if I can post on here. Any suggestions on the issue?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Newly planted Leylands turning brown on inside.

pix would really help

interior browning is normal.. and increased with stress.. like transplant ...

no CONIFER holds its needles forever .. and they shed the oldest ones.. which.. as the tree grows.. wait for it.. end up.. interior ...

NEVER fertilize a stressed plant ... and that includes a transplant.. and for what they are worth.. next time.. just send me the money for spikes.. and i will pray for them.. and it will have the same effect ...

water needs to be applied thru the entire root mass of the transplant ... and then allowed to near dry before you give them more water.. insert finger.. and water when the soil.. at depth is near dry .. a good blanket of mulch will aid the whole process ... if need be.. dig a small hole.. just outside the root mass.. and find out.. right now.. how wet it is down 6 or 8 inches ... and maintain that area as slightly moist.. but NEVER soggy ... for the rest of this year.. and in drought next year ...

good luck
ken

o

http://i57.photobucket.com/albums/g225/drewsrt/IMAG1064.jpg

http://i57.photobucket.com/albums/g225/drewsrt/IMAG1065.jpg

There are links to both pictures. I understand that they will loose needles from the inside out as they get older but this has happened rapidly in 2 months. The trees had one or two brown spots when I got them. As for the spikes, they were giving to me by a neighbor.

o

next time.. use the HTML code in PBucket.. and when you hit preview.. if you see the pix.. we will ...

i said: interior browning is normal.. and increased with stress.. like transplant ...

and that is ENTIRELY normal ...

dont worry about the spikes .. i hate wasting money.. and since you got them for free.. what the heck ...

life is all in the growth tips.. IF and WHEN those start browning .. then you have something to worry about ...

just work on PROPER WATERING.. and you should be all set ...

and if they 'appear' thin .. dont worry about it.. they will fill back in ... as the exterior grows ... [not from the interior]

ken

o

Ken thanks for the info and that's good news to me. The wife was concerned since they weren't exactly cheap and we are low on funds right now.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Trees Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here