Return to the Trees Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Wax Murtle - Promoting Root Suckers

Posted by BeesGarden North Carolina (My Page) on
Thu, Apr 4, 13 at 18:40

Hello all! Well, we had lots of privacy in our backyard until we had our landscapers visit and they over trimmed the base of our wax murtles. In fact, we told them to leave them alone, but they mis-understood. They removed the root suckers / sprouts and it is now very open under there (picture attached).

I'm sure most don't like root suckers and sprouts at the base, but we found them to keep our backyard very private. Anyway, we wish to promote them to regain the privacy we had in our backyard.

Other than just waiting, is there any way we can promote growth of the root suckers....or have any other ideas?

Thanks in advance.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Wax Murtle - Promoting Root Suckers

You don't say where in NC you live, but if you live in the central or eastern areas, have you thought about placing some low bushes between and in front of the the myrtle?

We have knockout roses in front of our house and they bloom all summer, They grow rapidly and will be about 3 to 4 feet high. We have to cut them back every fall. We have red roses but they come in other colors.

We just purchased a Drift rose. They are similar but do not grow as tall.

o

Knuttle has mentioned two groups of roses that are being removed by the truckload in many locations due to Rose Rosette Disease. We had to yank ours out after only a couple of enjoyable years.

o

Knuttle has mentioned two groups of roses that are being removed by the truckload in many locations due to Rose Rosette Disease. We had to yank ours out after only a couple of enjoyable years.

o

my first thought.. as per the above.. was to diversify your planting.. by adding a 3 foot bed in front of them.. which would be lower.. and adding a different plant..

along with getting a better service ... for maintenance ...

your base issue.. is that your WM are maturing.. and growing into the potential they have ... and trying to 'force' young vigorous growth.. down low .. in the shade of that above.. will be hard in terms of years ..... w/o cutting them all down.. to allow light in ...

we all struggle with this after 10.. 20.. 30 years ... the darn things just keep growing upwards ...

would you favor us with a pic of them in bloom .. later in the season ???

the simplest solution.. may be a couple trees.. in the lawn.. closer to you.. well placed.. so that they block the far view ... i think i see the edge of a railing/deck ... dont limit your solution to way out there ...

i dont know your climate.. well enough to make specific suggestions ....

good luck

ken

o

These roses have been growing in the Raleigh area for years, and I did not know of the Rose Rosette Disease.

However the point of my post was that if small plants and bushes were planted below the Myrtle, it would recreate the screen, and provide color to the yard.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Trees Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here