Return to the Trees Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Tree Identification HELP

Posted by DixieLee12345 none7b (My Page) on
Fri, Apr 25, 14 at 18:40

This tree is growing in Monroe N,C, and is so pretty with clusters of pink flowers that smell heavenly. The leaves are dark green and are thicker than normal leaves, feel leather like. I would love to know what it is so I can find one for my yard. The homeowner has no clue what it is even though she and her husband planted it years ago so she is also curious as to what type of tree it is. I have more pictures I will post.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Tree Identification HELP

Another picture

o

Leaf growth

o

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rhaphiolepis ???

o

Here is the trunk of the tree.

o

This is a close up of the leaf

o

lazygardens that is what I thought and thought it might be the Majestic Beauty but when I looked at close up of leaves they were different than the ones on this tree or are there ones with leaves that are sort of serrated on edges like these are????

o

As noted in the post buried above, Raphiolepis, aka Indian hawthorn. Usually considered a shrub but depending on location and age of plant, can often grow into a tree-like form.

o

Thank you gardengal48............I will tell my neighbor and will hunt for one for my yard.

o

• Posted by bboy USDA 8 Sunset 5 WA (My Page) on
    Fri, Apr 25, 14 at 22:32

I think it is, in fact [Majestic Beauty] = 'Montic', which I have seen in person many times - do a web search and you can get multiple photographs also.

Stated to be from Eriobotrya deflexa X Raphiolepis indica but the originator said

At the time of my discovery, I found it as a chance seedling growing in a bed of Raphiolepis indica 'Enchantress', where it was distinguished from all other Raphiolepis plants in the bed by the relatively great size of its branches and foliage. The actual parentage of this seedling is unknown

Here is a link that might be useful: United States Patent Office - Plant Pat. 3,349

o

Those are used as small street trees along Main St in my town, along with Savannah Holly. They always seem healthy with no problems, but reach maybe 6' max.

o

• Posted by bboy USDA 8 Sunset 5 WA (My Page) on
    Sat, Apr 26, 14 at 11:08

Prone to leaf spot, as we can see in the last of the above photos.

o

That is one gorgeous Rhaphiolepis 'Majestic Beauty', or perhaps 'Rosalinda'.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Trees Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here