Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dixielee12345

Tree Identification HELP

DixieLee12345
9 years ago

This tree is growing in Monroe N,C, and is so pretty with clusters of pink flowers that smell heavenly. The leaves are dark green and are thicker than normal leaves, feel leather like. I would love to know what it is so I can find one for my yard. The homeowner has no clue what it is even though she and her husband planted it years ago so she is also curious as to what type of tree it is. I have more pictures I will post.

Comments (12)

• DixieLee12345
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Another picture

• DixieLee12345
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Leaf growth

• DixieLee12345
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Here is the trunk of the tree.

• DixieLee12345
    Original Author
    9 years ago

This is a close up of the leaf

• DixieLee12345
    Original Author
    9 years ago

lazygardens that is what I thought and thought it might be the Majestic Beauty but when I looked at close up of leaves they were different than the ones on this tree or are there ones with leaves that are sort of serrated on edges like these are????

• gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    9 years ago

As noted in the post buried above, Raphiolepis, aka Indian hawthorn. Usually considered a shrub but depending on location and age of plant, can often grow into a tree-like form.

• DixieLee12345
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you gardengal48............I will tell my neighbor and will hunt for one for my yard.

• Embothrium
    9 years ago

I think it is, in fact [Majestic Beauty] = 'Montic', which I have seen in person many times - do a web search and you can get multiple photographs also.

Stated to be from Eriobotrya deflexa X Raphiolepis indica but the originator said

At the time of my discovery, I found it as a chance seedling growing in a bed of Raphiolepis indica 'Enchantress', where it was distinguished from all other Raphiolepis plants in the bed by the relatively great size of its branches and foliage. The actual parentage of this seedling is unknown

Here is a link that might be useful: United States Patent Office - Plant Pat. 3,349

• alabamatreehugger 8b SW Alabama
    9 years ago

Those are used as small street trees along Main St in my town, along with Savannah Holly. They always seem healthy with no problems, but reach maybe 6' max.

• Embothrium
    9 years ago

Prone to leaf spot, as we can see in the last of the above photos.

• Dave in NoVA • N. Virginia • zone 7A
    9 years ago

That is one gorgeous Rhaphiolepis 'Majestic Beauty', or perhaps 'Rosalinda'.