Return to the Trees Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
what kind of tree is this?

Posted by katgreen 9 (My Page) on
Mon, Apr 28, 14 at 18:41

Saw this tree on Market Street in SF. Would anyone know what it is?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: what kind of tree is this?

Here's a view from below the tree.

o

Probably Schinus molle.

o

I think it is Podocarpus gracilior, syn. Afrocarpus gracilior, commonly called fern pine. Schinus molle has very shaggy/rough bark.

o

At first, I thought it was a truffula tree. Guess not.

+oM

o

Thanks for all the guesses.

Here are close-ups of this tree... could it be an ash tree?

o

another image

o

one last image

o

well, the leaf closeups seem to indicate that the tree is probably neither a schinus nor an afrocarpus and instead may be some sort of ash (fraxinus) possibly f. angustifolia "raywood" or f. udhei (mexican evergreen ash) but the last picture of (maybe) "suckering" growth somewhat confuses the issue (for me at least). hopefully, somebody will be able to come up with a more definitive i.d..

o

Thanks for trying to ID it, georgeinbandonoregon. It's a good looking tree and I was thinking I'd like to try to grow it in my back yard.

o

you might really consider fraxinus "raywood" a very fine textured tree with a look (IMHO) that closely resembles the tree in your picture---whatever it really is, LOL.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Trees Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here