Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
timespiral_gw

Avocado Tree -- Wilt, new growth death, black res on branches

TimeSpiral
9 years ago

Avocado Tree: Brogdon (Persea Americana)

Details:
----------
1. Tree has been in the ground for over a year.
2. Recently, we noticed it wilting much more than the Lula avocado tree we have about fifteen feet away.
3. All of the flower buds seemed to spontaneously die.
4. There is almost no visible new growth (but I do see some fruit buds in place of some of the dead flowers).
5. I have seen a few small caterpillars on it. Our "bug guy" said it "wasn't a bad one."
6. There is a black substance covering many of the branches and the trunk. I'm not sure what it is. It looks like it might be a fungus, but I don't know.

Site Details:
----------------
1. It is watered primarily through our irrigation system (well).
2. We live near a saltwater bayou (Gulf of Mexico).
3. There is a small vegetable garden near the tree, growing tomatoes, lettuce, and cucumbers. I'm having constant trouble with powdery mildew on the tomatoes and what could possibly be blight (some sort of blackish fungus).
4. It is very windy. The house creates a decent wind shield. The nearby Lula gets significantly more wind, and is doing well (new growth, flowers, tons of buds and bees).
5. I'm concerned that whatever is ailing the Brogdon could transfer over to the Lula.

I really don't want to lose this tree, but I don't even know how to go about treating it. I can't even identify what is wrong. I am really hoping to connect with some experts here, or perhaps someone who has successfully treated a similar situation before.

This is my first post. I apologize if this is in the wrong forum. Oh, and how do I post more than one picture? I have a better shot of the substance, and a far shot of the wilting.

Please help! Thanks in advance.

Comments (7)

Sponsored
Art Masonry Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars132 Reviews
Loudon County's Hardscape and Landscape Expert in Outdoor Living