Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
alyciaadamo

dug up 2-3 yr birch

alyciaadamo
12 years ago

My husband dug up a 2-3 yr old birch and when he did, the dirt and most roots did not come with it.It's about 3'. It has a big tap root that broke(about6-10"long now) and some smaller white roots on it. It's not too big a deal though since it was in my flower garden and I wanted it moved anyway. I just feel kinda bad because it managed to escape getting pulled every year when I weeded. I planted it pretty quick in a decent size pot and watered the heck out of it. The buds were just barely showing so spring has only started here. It doesn't normally get too hot here but it's feeling like we're going to have a lot of hot weather this summer but then just last week or so we had snow.

I was just wondering if is a waste of time trying to save it or not? Does anyone think it will survive? Are there things I can do to help it other what I am already doing?

Also I have another 3 yr maybe even 4yr old birch in another part of that garden that I really want to save. When should I move it and how big should I dig the root ball? This tree is easily 6 ft tall (reaches the top of my 6'fence), well branched and is quite a bit bigger than the other one. My only problem with this is while it is not in a spot that is too much of a problem, it is awful close to some of my bee balm that have taken their time getting to a decent clump. I really don't want to disturb them.

Both these trees self seeded themselves after '08(I think anyway). That's when I put my flower garden in and I assume when the soil was at it's best. But I am not really sure though, I don't really know a lot about trees. I just find it odd that I only noticed these last spring when they were both about 2-3 ft tall(the big one really took off last summer) It's not really a giant garden it's about 11' x 25' and I live right in town so about 3' away is another house.

Now that I think about it though, I think I did notice the little one, about 1' then, the summer before(2010) and thought it was another plant that was supposed to be there oops.

Comments (3)