Return to the Trees Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Kousa dogwood--when does it leaf out?

Posted by joannemb 5b (My Page) on
Wed, Apr 7, 10 at 19:03

Just planted it last Fall, and am wondering when I can expect it to start leafing out? I know it blooms usually mid-late May....shouldn't it start to get it's leaves by now?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Kousa dogwood--when does it leaf out?

Patience.

Dan

o

• Posted by whaas 5a Milwaukee (My Page) on
    Wed, Apr 7, 10 at 21:33

I only have a few plants that have begun to leaf out due to the very very unseasonably warm temps last week. I have several plants that don't even have swelling buds yet.

Now its super windy, rainy and in the 30's...there goes my Magnolia blooms...thanks mother nature!

As mentioned above...patience...if its May 7th then we should be concerned.

o

I remember mine took a long time to leaf out the first two years, and they also didn't flower until the second year.

Mine were purchased from Lowes, they were container grown and only four feet tall...don't know if that made a difference.

o

Ours are just leafing out here.

Arktrees

o

Kousa is just starting to leaf out here. It has been unusually warm the last few weeks. Blooms are expected in June.

o

My kousa is still just buds and its going to be a while...tonight will be 29F.

tj

o

My Kousa dogwood was planted last August . We had a severe winter and it hasn't leafed out very small bloom buds but no leafing is it going to get leaves soon ?

o

Connie, it is probably getting close to time for yours. Don't worry about a week or so though if you are starting to notice others Kousas in your area leafing out. Something about my micro-climate makes things in my yard a few days behind their counterparts at work and in the true suburbs.

joannemb, you are a zone behind me. My Cornus Florida dogwoods are just now flowering. The youngest ones have barely a leaf showing.

Don't give up on them yet.

o

In Southern Connecticut my Kousa is a long way from leafing but half of the lower branches will not leaf at all...my big established tree has been hit by scale.
The lower branches are all black (from the fungus/excreta?) and there are white eliptical spots on the dead/dieing branches.

I sprayed as much of the tree as I could with horticultural oil...although couldnt reach the top even with a garden hose sprayer.

Any thoughts on the problem? Solution?

o

I'm in the same zone and my Cornus kousa is not even close to leafing out. The buds are swelling though.

I checked a couple pictures from past years of the blooms on this tree, both were dated June 4th, so it usually blooms in early June here.

o

I agree with "patience". Here in zone 7a ours have just begun leafing out.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Trees Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here