Return to the Trees Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Some sort of Hickory or What?

Posted by drrich2 6 (My Page) on
Thu, Apr 12, 12 at 19:04

Hi:

I'm in southwestern KY in a home we bought over a year ago. There's a tree out front & to the side maybe 15 - 20 feet tall, with what I think you call compound pinnate leaves. I've not seen what kind of nuts it makes yet, and would've guessed it for a black walnut.

It's not a black walnut. Whipped out my copy of Native Trees for North American Landscapes and did some checking. Black Walnut doesn't have a terminal leaflet, and this tree does. Pecan Trees have a larger number of leaflets. This tree tends to have either 3 or (more usually) 4 leaflets on each side, plus a terminal leaflet, for a total or 7 to 9 leaflets on a leaf.

Bark seems fairly smooth, at least at this stage of its life.

Any idea what this tree is? I don't know whether it was planted deliberately or is native or not.

Thanks in advance!

Richard.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Some sort of Hickory or What?

Some type of Ash, I think. Fraxinus is the genus name.

o

Thanks. If so, that leaves the quandary about what (if anything) to do with it. I wouldn't plant an ash tree due to the threat of eventual emerald ash borer attack (they have been collected in some countries in KY, though as yet I don't know them to be present in mine). Considering how long trees live, this raises the question of whether it's 'just a matter of time,' and removing the tree now better than waiting to the borers trash it in 10 years or so.

Bummer. I've got almost no experience with ash, but that's a nice tree.

Richard.

o

Frankly, I say enjoy it while you have it. It may be one of the lucky ones to survive and lend it's genes to new cultivars of resistant trees!

o

Does it turn yellow to purple in the fall?

Once we decide on ash if I recall white ash has a "u" shaped leaf scar, green ash some other shape lol.

I like ash trees. Shame about EAB. St Louis is on the fringe now also so I have similar concerns.

o

• Posted by jqpublic 7b/8a Wake County NC (My Page) on
    Thu, Apr 12, 12 at 20:30

That's definitely not a hickory. It looks like an ash, but I'm not too familiar with distinguishing ash bark on young trees. If I had to guess I would say it could be a green ash.

o

I don't remember what the Fall color was like last Fall.

Thanks for the help, everybody. I'm still mulling over whether to take it down while it's fairly small, vs. risk letting it get big and the bugs kill it.

Richard.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Trees Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here