Return to the Trees Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
log furniture from trees that must be cut?

Posted by candogal 5b (My Page) on
Sun, Apr 22, 12 at 19:17

I feel like I'm posting about meat recipes on a vegetarian cooking website. :-) So I won't get scalped, of our one acre lot, other than the house, 90% is native woodlands. We love our woodlands, unlike some of our neighbors, who have clear-cut and have vast lawns. I'm even slowly growing native woodland flowers from seed.

But the woodlands are coming in on us, and unless we want to let the the trees take the lot back over, it's high time for some tree work. As a result of our leach field failing, we can get the heavy crane in where it needs to be. (Since crushing the leach field is a non-issue.) We're having a 100+ foot pine that's dying from lighting taken down. Also some branches from the oak that's attacking the house. Some maples are doing the limbo to get enough light, so they'll come down altogether. (It's wild how much they've bent themselves.) And we reluctantly decided to cut a healthy 100+ foot pine because it's so close to the house and hopefully it will be 20-30 years before a crane can get back there again.

After all is said and done, we are going to have A LOT of logs available. Does anyone know a good resource for how to build outdoor furniture from logs? The books I've found deal with building furniture from smaller branches. Our back "yard" is obviously pretty rustic, so outdoor furniture like this would fit right in.

Thanks, Trish

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: log furniture from trees that must be cut?

I have a book but it is mostly pictures and no details on how to do it. I would go on Amazon and look for a book (or wherever you want to go. Amazon has used books that are in good shape and priced low. I would also try to check the web for info. I am using branches from my dead sycamore and other trees to make a section of fence as a backdrop for one of my tree strips. I havent gotten to it so I will be attempting it is more truthful. But that is easy drill, nail and glue. If you have a Big Lots store or Tractor supply store they have those rustic wood swings on an A frame. Look if you can copy their joinery technique. Well, good luck with it anyway.

o

Hey Trish. How about making lumber from your trees? Last year I was in Alaska helping my brother cut cedar trees into 2x6 lumber to make a deck on his cabin in a remote island. We used a chainsaw with an attachment called a 'chainsaw mill'.

o

What you need is one of those chain saw artists that make totem poles and other carvings. If you have access to any arts and crafts fairs they are usually there doing demos and selling pieces. You could very likely trade them chunks for work done.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Trees Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here