Return to the Trees Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
How to ID a Norway maple

Posted by jacquiez MI zone 5 (My Page) on
Tue, Apr 24, 12 at 19:19

We have several maple trees in our yard. We built this house and planted the trees over 30 years ago. One I know is a Norway as I seem to remember it being called a Crimson King at the time. It has those maroon/black leaves that I am no longer fond of but the other two I am not sure about. I thought they were a Silver maple and a sugar maple, but one is so dense that we have trouble growing grass under it and it drops thousands of seedlings every year into my beds which I have to pull out. How can I tell the difference between these two and a Norway maple? Thank you very much.
Jacquie

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: How to ID a Norway maple

I believe norway maple leaves have a white exudate that either weeps from the petiole or branch when the leaf is removed.

John

o

Theey have a green leaf bud, they produce there seed in the fall. Red and sugar produce in the spring. They have yellow fall.

o

Oh the silver maple also proudces in spring

o

Thanks so much for the replies. I think I may just have the one Norway maple. I will go out in the morning and check to see if the leaves or branches exude something white when a leaf is pulled off. Thanks again.
Jacquie

o

John is right about the white exudate being unique to Norway maples, but you usually have to wait until early summer for it to be apparent - too early now.

Another easy identification: The wings on the fruits(samaras)of Norway maples diverge from each other at a very wide angle. In other maples the angle is much more acute.

The bark is also distinctive on mature Norway maples: very dark gray broken into interlacing vertical furrows.

o

the easiest and SUREST way ... is to follow the link

and provide 3 pix..

leaf
trunk/bark
and the whole ...

none of this looking for weeping pus.. lol ...

ken

Here is a link that might be useful: how to post pix

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Trees Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here