Return to the Trees Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Any hope for my damaged tree?

Posted by JasonTaylor20 Oklahoma (My Page) on
Sat, Apr 19, 14 at 19:20

So I recently purchased this house in the summer of 2013 and we have a fairly nice back yard. About a month or so ago, I noticed a tree that was whitening on one half and the bark is peeling away from the tree on the other half. I haven't ever owned a home before so this is the first time I have ever had to deal with this. I have been watering the tree like crazy hoping that will help but so far nothing. Is my tree dying? Is there anything I can do to save it? It is in full bloom right now and is very pretty but I am worried for the future of the tree. There are some little white things coming out of the bark in certain places as well. Does this indicate anything? Any help anyone can provide would be greatly appreciated!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Any hope for my damaged tree?

Some additional pics...

o

Some additional pics...

o

Answer is no.
However it might last one or even 2 more years. The responsible thing to do is to cut it down, but if you aren't worried about it destroying the fence and you really need the shade, you could always leave it. I wouldn't take any naps under it.

o

first you give us some pix of the leaves and flowers that we can focus on ... so as to ID it .. and if not here.. then the name that plant forum ...

which would them lead us to research whether it can be rejuvenated ... i suspect it might actually be a shrub... rather than a tree... and if so.. there are things that can be done .

as you see it.. it wont be any more ... but it does not.. necessarily follow.. that it is dying...

and i would probably start.. after ID.. by cutting the back part to about 3 inches.. and seeing how the plant responds ... but lets see what it is

ken

ps: if its an ornamental pear ... just be done with it... lol .. i just cant tell in that one pic ... does it smell horrible??? .. like wet dirty gym socks???

o

In short, no. The missing bark will not regrow, and the mushrooms coming from the trunk indicate lots of long-dead wood in there.

Start planning a replacement. Pick a species that is suited to your area, preferably a native tree. That's probably a Bradford Pear ... common, fast growing and short-lived.

" have been watering the tree like crazy hoping that will help" ... this only helps if the tree was short on water. If you find any other plants that are ailing, find out what's wrong before you start piling on the remedies. You can kill them if you do the wrong thing.

o

Ken - it's an apple tree. The flowers are fairly clear in the first picture and the spent flowers and leaves are absolutely clear in the second picture. Whether an ornamental or fruit apple is not possible to tell. It's pretty badly diseased but could last a few more years as it gradually dies. It will not look any prettier as it does so.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Trees Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here