Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
srogue

Redbud Tree Growing Near House

srogue
13 years ago

Hello guys, I have a redbud someone had previously planted aprox. 1-1/2 feet from the house. The trunk is about a foot and a half from the house, and the tree itself is nearly 7 feet tall. I like the tree, but know nothing about redbuds and want to know if it should be moved, chopped, or left alone.

Thanks guys.

Comments (17)

• Dan _Staley (5b Sunset 2B AHS 7)
    13 years ago

Too close. Move if possible (maybe not by now) in dormant season.

Dan

• srogue
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks Dan. I think that is what I will have to do. I have a feeling the roots are too big and deep by now, and after one more growing season, I will just have to get rid of it.

• greenthumbzdude
    13 years ago

I would just leave it. Redbuds are small trees therefore they have smaller root systems. There is no way it could cause a whole lot of damage. Now an oak or a maple would be a different story.

• famartin
    13 years ago

I agree with greenthumbzdude. Its not going to cause damage. You may want to restrict its growth with a good heavy trimming every now and then, but that's up to you.

Also, redbuds tend to not live very long either.

• srogue
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks for the info greethumbzdude and famartin. If I will just prune the heck out of it, when is the best time?

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    13 years ago

get rid of it ...

for as cheap as they are at the bigboxstore .. it isnt worth spending 5 or 6 hours of back breaking labor .. AT THE RIGHT TIME OF YEAR.. to move it... cut it at ground level .. and apply stump killer or roundup to the cambian layer ... UNLESS IT IS SOME VARIEGATED FOO FOO VARIETY ... then move it ... in fall ...

here is a picture of my 15 foot EASTERN redbud [i must have been laying on the ground for that grand pic .. lol] ...

below is a link to pix of western redbud ... i just dont understand how any of our peeps suggest that ONE AND A HALF FEET FROM THE HOUSE IS OK???? what will it look like when you remove one half of the canopy to protect your house siding????

your fact scenario perfectly describes what i call PLANTING 'ON THE FOUNDATION' .. rather than planting to hide the foundation .... so glad its a prior owners mistake.. so i dont have to worry about hurting your feelings ...

good luck

ken

{{gwi:329086}}

Here is a link that might be useful: link

• famartin
    13 years ago

Some people get all bent out of shape about a small tree right up against a house. Some people LIKE that. If its not likely to cause damage (and its not... the force of the tree hitting it from the wind is not likely to damage it because of its small size). If you like the tree where it is, leave it.

• brandon7 TN_zone7
    13 years ago

If it were mine, it would be gone by nightfall. Some people like all sorts of bizarre things, that doesn't mean those things are good ideas or that they can't cause problems. As Ken said, a replacement (to be planted in a more appropriate location) is relatively cheap.

• tjrust2_gmail_com
    13 years ago

I am reading this post to find out if I planted my redbud too close to our house. We needed a fast growing shade for back patio and I planted a redbud approx ten feet away from corner of house and approx five foot away from the west side of our concrete patio slab,, and was wondering what problems it may cause to foundation of house or slab or if it would allow varmits to climb to roof and possibly cause damage etc. I personally thought it would be simple to prune and controll but,, others may know this answer better than I,, please advise!

• Dan _Staley (5b Sunset 2B AHS 7)
    13 years ago

Redbud is not a shade tree.

Dan

13 years ago

ten feet away from corner of house and approx five foot away from the west side of our concrete patio slab,

===>>> w/o a pic.. that ought to be a pretty good distance...

just learn how to prune properly ...

get some pix.. and start your own post.. and we should be able to help ...

i would not worry about its root system ... and a slab of concrete.. its not a surface rooter.. nor that big a tree ..

ken

• Christina Woods Ricketts
    7 years ago

Although this is an old thread, I feel obligated to point out that redbudshe have an extremely delicate/particular root system and nearly impossible to transplant. Even with small red buds, it is nearly guaranteed to die. They do seed plentifully, in the right habitat. Your best bet would be to replace with an established, potted tree.

• Rose Wolf Donnell
    6 years ago

I know this is an old post too and we just had a new house built and ours is an eastern Red Bud I just found out and we think it's too close to the house and our landscaper said it will only get between 20 to 30 feet but he will move it if we want. Not sure what to do it had leaves and now it's bare. Would like Opinions on what we should do. If we are going to move it than it has to be soon and the landscaper will do it. Should we?

6 years ago

see link on general tree primer ...

moving trees in dormancy.. or leafless is usually the best.. no loss of energy to try to hold the leaves on the tree ... and once leafless.. its done storing all the energy for next spring ...

but.. where are you ... that might make a difference as to when to move it ...

it will look brilliant.. smack dab in the middle of the lawn ... make sure there arent any utilities where he digs ...

props to him for being willing to placate you ...

yeah.. you should have started your own post .... with a searchable title ... but no need now ...

ken

check out TIMING >>> WATERING <<<< ETC ...

https://sites.google.com/site/tnarboretum/Home/planting-a-tree-or-shrub

• 1818 Federal (7bEC)
    4 years ago

@ken... even after 8 years that still reads as a sizzle of a lashing. (ahem). Glad you are usually so gracious with your knowledge. #cheers

• 1818 Federal (7bEC)
    4 years ago

@rose- what did you decide? that gorgeously ample lawn could easily display 2 shade trees with a Redbud as understory. belated congrats.