Return to the Trees Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
mountain ash berries and dogs eating them

Posted by greenrr 5a S. Ontario (My Page) on
Sun, Apr 5, 09 at 19:27

Hi
I have a eauropean mountain ash that drops its orange berries in the spring. My dog has been munching on the berries that have fallen on the ground. She is not having any symptoms but I want to make sure that they are not harmful. Does anyone know? I hope not, cuz I'll have to fence off the area.
Any reply is appreciated.
Cheers
Greenrr

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: mountain ash berries and dogs eating them

Here is a picture of the berries.
Photobucket

And here is a picture of our dog. :)
Photobucket

o
RE: rowan berries and dogs eating them

The tree is correctly called a Rowan.

Those fruit look a bit fermented, so your dog might get slightly drunk if the alcohol hasn't all evaporated, but they are otherwise edible. Rowan berries actually make very nice jelly for human consumption.

Resin

o

Thanks Resin,
So we'll be watching out for a drunk dog then!!! That will be fun. Glad I don't have to do anything with the tree!!! Whew!
cheers,
greenrr

o

"The tree is correctly called a Rowan."

Rowan is commonly used in the UK, but I've seen mountain ash used more commonly here. If you want to be really technical, I'd stick with Sorbus.

o

Actually Mountain Ash is also commonly used in the UK. It's certainly the name I grew up with. But as you say, if we go with Sorbus aucuparia, we'll avoid spats over common names.

o

Common names are just that......common names. There is no such thing as a "correct" common name, as they are all technically incorrect. And they vary widely with regionality and folklore. It's perfectly acceptable to call them whatever is common to your area or what you grew up with. So let's just get beyond that piece of nonsense :-)

I'm surprised there are any berries left at this time of year. Mt. Ash berries get devoured here by birds through the fall and what remains in winter are scavanged by any overwintering birds, usually robins. And it is pretty common to see 'drunk' birds trying to perch in trees after eating the frost fermented berries :-)

Watch out for seedlings popping up. These are now considered weedy pest trees in my area and are borderline invasive species.

o

"Common names are just that......common names. There is no such thing as a "correct" common name, as they are all technically incorrect"

That's your cultural point of view. Other cultures take a very different view of the matter, and very definitely do have concepts of right and wrong in naming.

Resin

o

REally not a good idea to let dogs eat berries, jellies etc.

o

It won't hurt - in the wild, wolves (the wild ancestors of dogs) eat a lot of fruit. So do foxes and other canines. It is perfectly natural. Probably better for the dog than eating dog biscuits, which are made from products (grain, etc) that canines don't normally eat naturally.

Resin

o

Au contraire.

http://www.petside.com/health/grape-jelly-toxic-to-dogs.php
http://www.dogs.info/common_poisons.html

We aren't talking about all fruit. We're talking about berries and many berries, grapes and things are poisonous.

We also aren't talking about wolves, we're talking about Canis domestica.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Trees Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here