Return to the Trees Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Grafting with Tina

Posted by sam_md z7 MD (My Page) on
Wed, Apr 30, 14 at 19:29

knives that is. Here is a youtube link of a professional Dutch grafter. He is grafting apples with the choice of professionals, Tina. When you do this many grafts the knife must be comfortable in your hand. It must be high quality steel so you don't have to stop and sharpen frequently.
This is whip & tongue method. Fruit trees, flowering fruit trees, amelanchier, fringe trees, lilacs and many other ornamentals are grafted like this.
I really think that the Dutch are the master grafters, notice how the knife never leaves his hand.
Having a professional on youtube like this is rare, most of the videos are of amateurs and novices. Digging rootball demonstrations are laughable.

Here is a link that might be useful: Bench Grafting Video

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Grafting with Tina

What made me smile was the big sticking plaster on his thumb! Sharp knife, that, however expert you are ;-)

o

Same knife I use. Conifer takes this year: 89.5%. I'm much slower because I'm grafting some wood toothpick caliper.

Dax

Here is a link that might be useful: Grafting Conifers Results 2014

o

Pffft.. amateurs

o

ha ha ha ha.

Dax

o

Sharp knife that, however expert you are.
You're right about that, these knives are sharpened with a whetstone and kept as sharp as a straight razor.
The Univ of Ky has a grafting video but am not going to bother linking it (not the best). All wasted motion must be eliminated. The knife only leaves the hand when you get up for lunch.
Perhaps the best tip I ever got about grafting was from the propagator at Hillier Nursery. He told me to think of the blade cutting like a guillotine and use the entire length. Since the Tina knife is sharpened only on one side you make the perfect cut.
Here's a veneer graft on Aralia elata 'Variegata' wrapped in raffia.
 photo 05-25-14022.jpg
I'd love to get these on their own roots to eliminate the suckering which is usually a nuisance.
 photo 05-25-14023.jpg

o

That's the same knife I use. It's a wonderful tool.

Something I recently acquired: Fieldcraft Topgrafter

Fieldcraft Topgrafter photo FieldcraftTopgrafter001.jpg

photo FieldcraftTopgrafter002.jpg

All I had to do was thoroughly clean it. The bench mounting hardware I'll have soon.

Dax

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Trees Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here