Return to the Trees Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Exposed Tree Roots

Posted by Jack_E Western NY (My Page) on
Tue, Apr 23, 13 at 19:35

Hi,
Hope to get some ideas from this forum regarding a tree we have with some extreme root exposure. It's on a lakeside bank which has eroded quite a bit. The tree is very healthy and growing straight (not tipping), but you can see right through from the top of the bank on one side to the water.

I would like to fill in the root cavity - mainly to prevent critters from moving in and doing tree damage, If I fill it with dirt/gravel I'm afraid it will eventually get washed away. I was wondering if I could fill the lower part with some expanding foam, and then dirt fill over that. Also thinking concrete, but not sure either would do more harm than good.

Any feedback would be great. Thank you!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Exposed Tree Roots

I would use clay, it resists water well, Definately don't use expanding foam, it could be damaging to the bark, plus might break off and kill birds by suffocation etc.

o

The foam and concrete are bad ideas. Simple/easy solutions may not be viable over the long run. Googling something like 'shoreline restoration' should lead you to workable solutions.

o

I would be afraid to do much with it. I would imagine it has already toughened up it's roots with bark in response to this situation. Maybe I'm wronge but I think it has adapted a while ago.

o

that tree has been there decades .. with little or no help from you ..

its when we start 'fixing' things.. that WE!!!! .. interrupt .... AND SCREW UP .. nature..

i suggest you ignore it.. and let it be ...

to channel your inner hippie:

Mother Mary comes to me
Speaking words of wisdom, let it be
And in my hour of darkness she is standing right in front of me
Speaking words of wisdom, let it be
Let it be, let it be, let it be, let it be
Whisper words of wisdom, let it be

see link

ken

ps: now when you walk by it.. you can hum the song.. rather than dream up 'fixes' ....

Here is a link that might be useful: link

o

• Posted by pkvir z7b DFW TX (My Page) on
    Wed, Apr 24, 13 at 13:54

As ken said "Let it be".

o

Agree with let it be.

On a side note. This has to be one of the best demonstration of root grafting that I have seen. Really shows what's going on underground.

Arktrees

o

Happens on lakeshores everywhere. The trees seem to get by.

photo DSC_0181.jpg

photo DSC_0178.jpg

tj

o

You should also know that efforts to slow down or halt the natural progression of lake-beach-river side erosion rarely work for very long.

o

You should also know that efforts to slow down or halt the natural progression of lake-beach-river side erosion rarely work for very long.

o

Thanks for all the replies! Based on the feedback I think it's best to leave it alone. Looks kind of cool anyway!

o

Looks kind of cool anyway!

==>> EXACTLY!!!! .. love it for what it is... rather than 'help' it ...

its REALLY COOL ... that was my gut reaction also

ken

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Trees Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here