Return to the Trees Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Is it a bad move to plant new sycamore trees near ones that died?

Posted by mike758 none (My Page) on
Fri, Apr 11, 14 at 19:36

My neighbor has 8 sycamore trees going up his driveway, and they're all dead. I don't know why they died, but over a course of about 10 years they died off one by one. The tree would come back with half it's leaves one year and none the next. Now they're completely dead and have limbs falling off, the last one died about three years ago. The trees were about 40 years old.

On my property on the other side of the driveway, across from the dead trees, I was thinking about planting new sycamore trees. I like sycamores, but I'm worried mine would end up dying

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Is it a bad move to plant new sycamore trees near ones that d

• Posted by bboy USDA 8 Sunset 5 WA (My Page) on
    Fri, Apr 11, 14 at 22:49

You have to find out what happened before you are able to judge.

o

I don't really know what happened though... I assume it was a disease but I don't know how long the disease exists

o

call your COUNTY extension office.. and ask them.. they ought to be aware of any plagues in your general area ...

and do make sure they address anthracnose ...

you really know nothing about this ... fact wise... and you are asking us to guess for you ... hence the suggestion of at least discussing it with local experts ...

high end nurseries may also have such knowledge.. but then.. they want to sell you stuff ... including all the remedies.. if they are wrong.. so call the extension ...

ken

o

What Ken said and London Plane trees can resist anthractnose better than Sycamore. The Bark isn't as white on London plane when older though. If you are on the west coast you may mean another Sycamore than me and Ken are thinking of.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Trees Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here