Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
wendy1986_gw

How to transplant and train a tree in a bad location. . .

Wendy1986
11 years ago

So, even though no one answered my pepper or succulent questions, I am going to see if the third time is the charm or if I should just give up on this site. :( Anyway, I have a large cocktail fruit tree in my backyard that has been severely neglected. When I went to take a closer look at it, I found another tree behind it. It is supposedly an apricot tree, but I don't care if it is or isn't, I just really like the pink flowers it makes. So, I thought I'd transplant it to a better spot where it wasn't trapped mostly in the shade of the cocktail tree. Well, here are the problems. First, it is all tangled up with vines. I cut them away from the branches, but the roots of the tree and the vine appear to be all in the same place. Second, when I began to check out the base of the tree, I realized it appears to be attached to a large, rotten stump. I think that they ground down a stump to put something else in, but this tree volunteered. So, it curves out and up from its root system. Third, it is very close to a wall. So, how do I dig it out without hurting it/removing too much of it's root system? How much of it's roots do I try to save? It is about 4 - 5" in diameter - is it too late to train it to grow straight? Finally, how do I get rid of this vine before I transplant it? Do I dig them both out completely and go to town untangling the roots? Any and all advice is appreciated. Thank you.

Comments (8)

• Wendy1986
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Turns out that people had responded to my other questions, but the site didn't notify me like I wanted. I had to search for my other questions! Can anyone tell me how to find your own posts more easily? Thanks so much everybody! :D

• brandon7 TN_zone7
    11 years ago

As for relocating your stump-sprout/entangled-seedling, it seems to me that you are possibly looking at spending a lot of effort on a very questionable save with less than great chances of success. You really haven't given us enough information for us to clearly judge what's going on, but my impression is that you would be much better off just going and buying a new tree after cutting this one at ground level and applying glyphosate or triclopyr to the freshly cut phloem. I'm all for saving plants, but this one sounds like it's probably not the best candidate.

To get the site to notify you about responses, you just check the box that says "Check here if you would like post replies emailed to you" located just below the initial post when you start a new thread. You must also have chosen "Allow other users to send you email" on your member profile/preferences page (which it appears you have not done so far). You can choose not to display your email address (as I have done), but the site has to at least have permission to email you.

• Wendy1986
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Ooooooh, okay, it must be that I didn't check the box to allow users to e-mail. I will change that asap. If I can't move it, I might just leave it. It overhangs a little into the neighbor's yard, and they get all the flowers. :( No point taking it from them if it's not going to do any good.

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    11 years ago

it would sure be nice to know where you are ..

first.. trees are moved while dormant ... but i dont know when that is for you

second.. i agree with brandon.. this one is not worth it..

and third ... keeping a problem.. only.. get this.. leads to more problems ... do NOT.. in any way.. feel guilty about removal of a sub-prime tree .. just get rid of it.. when you come to the conclusion that it is a useless piece of garbage overhanging the NEIGHBORS property ..

but if its still entertaining you.. so be it. FOR NOW ... lol

just dont be afraid to be done with it ...

ken

• rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7
    11 years ago

Wendy, all of your posts have been answered.

• rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7
    11 years ago

Click on the attached link...it will take you to your posts.

Here is a link that might be useful: Wendy1986

• Wendy1986
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks everyone! I was thinking of maybe taking a few cuttings to try to get one to root and then just getting rid of the tree. I'm in zone 10 or Sunset zone 22, by the way. I thought I updated that, but maybe it's not showing. I also updated it so I get the e-mails now. Any advice on getting them to root? I've read a sand/peat mixture and some rooting powder are the way to go.

• Wendy1986
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Never mind, I'm going to hop on over to the propagation forum! Thanks!