Return to the Trees Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Muskogee Crepe Myrtle Looks Dead Need Help!

Posted by donna1294 NJ (My Page) on
Tue, Apr 22, 14 at 19:52

I have a Muskogee Crepe Myrtle that looks like it is dead. This is my second spring with the tree and I do not remember it looking so bad last spring. The branches are straight up and close together with no budding yet. We had an exceptionally rough winter this year. Is this part of the normal dormancy for these trees?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Muskogee Crepe Myrtle Looks Dead Need Help!

Crape myrtles are very slow to break dormancy in the spring. I live well within their best growing climate and they haven't leafed out here as yet. I'm in northern Alabama.

That being said, I do not think of New Jersey as ideal for these heat loving plants. Perhaps this winter was simply too harsh for your tree to survive.

Have you snipped any of the tips to see if the tissue is still alive?

o
RE: Muskogee CrApe Myrtle Looks Dead Need Help!

...or make a few scratches in your crApe myrtle's bark and look for green color right underneath the bark.

o

Mine are not leafed out yet.

Patience.

o

Crapes are very slow to leaf out, and this year has been exceptional...brutal cold and now, slow to warm. That being said, my Crapes have done very well in NJ (Zone 7). Still, I think I lost some recently planted ones, but established plants will come back. There may be some dead wood to cut out. There are many Crape Myrtles being grown around here, and the Summer heat is intense and long enough to satisfy them--this past Winter though, has been exceptional. Good luck!

o

Crepe's are slow to start out in the spring. You can also expect some top die back, possibly to the ground.

I planted a one gallon crepe last summer. I'm not expecting it to survive.

Good Luck.

o

• Posted by bboy USDA 8 Sunset 5 WA (My Page) on
    Thu, Apr 24, 14 at 19:04

New spring growth still developing in Central Florida (Zone 9) last week.

This post was edited by bboy on Thu, Apr 24, 14 at 19:07

o

Thank you everyone...our garden center expert advised us to wait since it is still early for the tree to come out of dormancy, however since this past winter was exceptionally harsh, the tree may not have made it :( I will be patient, but I will try another since they are plentiful in new jersey and I love them! We are on the northern end of the growing zone here in southern new jersey!

o

3/5 of my crapes died to the ground over the winter. Good luck!

o

Oh j0n. :(

I'm in Texas not that far from the Gulf coast and the Pink Velour I planted last Fall started to leaf out the past two weeks or so. I didn't think it would make it since our winter was quite harsh as well, but it apparently lived through the ice storm at the end of winter and the pink and green leaves are looking very pretty. Best of luck with your Muskogee.

o

Looks like my Muskogee crape buds are just beginning to plump up a bit here in northern VA.

o

I don't think mine is alive...Planted it at about 6 feet tall 2 summers ago...came out of dormancy and bloomed beautifully last summer...I'll wait a bit longer! I will buy another and try again! This past winter was exceptionally harsh so hopefully we won't have another like that any time soon! I love the Muskogee...but does anyone have any thoughts on perhaps the pink ones are heartier? Everyone in my neighborhood has white or pink which is why I went with the purple! lol...appreciate any feedback! :)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Trees Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here