Return to the Trees Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Norway Maple tree has brown leaves this spring...

Posted by contegni Long Island, New Yor (My Page) on
Wed, Apr 21, 10 at 20:02

Hi

I have a Norway Maple tree in my backyard and this spring for some reason, it grew brown leaves instead of green leaves. I can't remember this happening before and every other tree (mostly maples and oaks) have green leaves. Is something wrong with my tree? Why is it like this? Can I make it better some how? I don't know how old it is, but it is really tall and has a trunk with about a 2.5-3 feet diameter.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Norway Maple tree has brown leaves this spring...

• Posted by carrieb 7 Philadelphia (My Page) on
    Wed, Apr 21, 10 at 21:12

The Norways I've seen here often have leaves that open up reddish. On some trees, the leaves retain a purplish hue all summer. If yours has been green in the past, it will be green again.

o

They don't look damaged.

o

Means it probably has one of the purple-leaf cultivars in its ancestry.

Resin

o

I have a maple tree in my yard for over 30 years now and my maple tree also has brown leaves this Spring 2010. It's so strange. I never noticed that it did this before. I have noticed some other maple trees with brown leaves in other neighborhoods, too. Yet, other trees around them are green. So, something is happening that is making them brown. I don't know what type of maple my tree is, I thought it was a black maple. You said yours is a Norway Maple and it has the brown leaves. I wish I knew what has caused these trees to do this, this Spring. I can't find any answers on the internet.

o

There are purple-leaf cultivars widely available of several different maple species. Collect seed from those, or seeds from a tree which has received their pollen, and you'll get a lot of brown-leaved trees resulting. That's where they come from.

Resin

o

Unless you have documented evidence of a tree looking different in a previous Spring versus this Spring (in other words, photos of the tree in the same stage of leaf development), I'm gonna have to chalk this up to just not paying attention at the right time. Many red maples (acer rubrum) have a reddish or even almost brownish tinge to their foliage when it first comes out.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Trees Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here