Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dwmatlock87

HELP!!Live Oak Tree Problem

dwmatlock87
9 years ago

I have a mature live oak tree that is around 20-25 years old and is producing what looks like a jungle of smaller live oaks just around the base of the tree. How do I get this to stop?

Comments (7)

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    9 years ago

mow them down repeatedly??

thought i dont know if they sucker ..

the alternative .... its an oak.. it drops acorns.. if you cant deal with it all.. get rid of the tree ...

ken

• whitecap
    9 years ago

This is a common problem with live oaks, as anyone who has had any personal experience with one knows. The saplings are coming from underground roots, easily confirmed by pulling up a few with pliers. They will be thickest in areas getting the most light and water. Mowing just makes them stronger. I just pull most of mine up. They are very sensitive to Roundup, spot applications of which doesn't seem to affect the main tree. The problem most of us have is that this is an excellent way to kill your St. Augustine. I've been told, but haven't personally confirmed, that you can avoid this problem by applying the Roundup while the grass is dormant.

I have two live oaks in the front yard, set out in 1978. Some people just don't understand the value of shade in Texas.

• rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7
    9 years ago

I spent many years in beautiful Live Oak country, not in Texas but the Lowcountry of South Carolina. I always advise people to treat their oaks with great respect for their enormous value....not only because of their beauty and shade, but for the property value they add. Do you know how many people buy a home "for the trees "?

• Rhonda
    9 years ago

Yes they do send out roots from which the saplings appear. Pull them as soon as you see them because the roots are very long and strong.

I was bold (stupid) enough to plant a shade garden underneath a clump of live oaks last Spring. Even though I have a lifelong job pulling saplings, I love being able to sit in the shade and read on a hot, muggy Florida afternoon without sweating to death.

Enjoy your oak :)

Rhonda

• poaky1
    9 years ago

I would remove the little seedlings which are bothersome. Or hand prune anything in your way. If you are in Live oak territory, plan your activities etc around the Live oaks. In other words, the Live oaks will set up camp where it is best for them, so try to let the plants chose the best location for them to make an area for plants.

• poaky1
    9 years ago

The best area for Live oak trees is definitely going to be where they have set out seeds. Those who need these trees in order to carry some burlap sacks filled with seeds, and needed organic materials, It's a good thing that we are going to please

• poaky1
    9 years ago

I will have to stop posting late at night after some cocktails. I know that those posts are nonsense.