Return to the Trees Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
holly tree

Posted by Mimi0485 6 (My Page) on
Wed, Apr 9, 14 at 20:14

We have a 6 1/2 foot holly tree that has been healthy for over 13 yrs. We had a strange winter a lot of below 0 weather. Since it is getting warmer it looks like the tree is dead the leaves turned yellow then brown and they fall off to the touch. the branches are brittle. Should we just wait to see if comes back or is it a lost cause and we should go a head and remove it. we did have a new side place last Aug could they have damaged the roots.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: holly tree

I had a similar winter and have a similar problem. Today I was out breaking branches looking for signs of life.

I have chosen to wait and see partually because I have no replacement picked out.

o

Depending on what species/variety of holly, it may be toast. There are hollies for which 0F is not a problem but yours was likely not one of them.

If you want a more solid holly for the future, try these ones...
The shrubby Blue Hollies (Ilex x meserveae)
The shrubby Inkberry (Ilex glabra)
Long Stalk Holly (Ilex pedunculosa)
Any of Dr. Orten's Rutgers American Holly selections

In my yard, only Blue Holly and Long Stalk Holly came through with very minimal or no leaf burn. American Holly had severe leaf burn but the twigs look ok. I don't grow Inkberry. This winter was very bad for us (duration) but even in a normal winter we'll hit -15F at least once.

o

my holly in MI... honey maid... is brown above.. and green below where the snow line was ...

ALL BUDS LOOK FINE ...

and that is where the future is ...

holly is evergreen.. ALL evergreens shed their leaves. over time.. a particular winter can make it all happen at once ..

i would give it at least a month.. until you decide what if any part are dead ... it will probably surprise you ...

do not do what toro is doing.. unless you know what to look for ..

patience ... like i have seemed to have typed a dozen times today.. and a dozen yesterday ..

post pix if you want some real opinions.. otherwise your words fail ...

the last 6 years is irrelevant to what this winter was like ...

ken

o

A lot of the Nellie R. Stevens hollies here have about 20% leaf dieback, mostly at the tips. This has just shown up the last few weeks.

The straight Ilex cornuta I have looks fine, though.

o

Here's my holly list in order of damage:
I. vomitoria 'Hoskin's Shadow' 20% light bronzing/purpling (in a very exposed spot, full sun on small berm)
I. aquifolium 'Ingramii' 20% light bronzing/purpling
Ilex 'Sand Pond' 10% very light bronzing
undamaged:
I. 'Venus'
I. 'Scepter'
I. 'James G. Esson'
I. 'Longwood Gold'
I. X koeheana 'Ruby'
Ilex 'Hohman'
Ilex 'Ajax'
all I. opaca, cultivars and natives

This post was edited by davidrt28 on Thu, Apr 10, 14 at 22:20

o

I'm having the same issue as well. About half of the tree the leaves are all brown and crisp, falling off. The back half, against the house, still has some green. There are shoots growing up out of the top of the ball shape where the main 'trunk' of the shoots have turned black. I am located in Ohio and we also had a very harsh winter. Is this a safe time of year to trim back the shoots growing out of the top? Should I cut off all the black? I'll take a picture later today to post. I didn't see any buds on it last time I looked, but I will check again.

o

I'm in Zone 5 (central PA) and I had holly trees around 6 ft tall put in last year. They looked fine all summer, fall and even part of the winter. In late Feb. the leaves turned brown/black and now the leaves are 95% gone. My poor trees are naked! I do not see any new growth or potential for them to come back.
I'm pretty sure they are DEAD - luckily, the landscape company will replace them, but if it's the type of holly they put in - I think they need to use a different variety for my location and the strong winds that I get.

We also had a horribly cold winter and where my house sits it's like a wind tunnel.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Trees Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here