Return to the Trees Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Help!..is my Tamukeyama dead?? :(

Posted by Vikulyan Oklahoma (My Page) on
Thu, Apr 12, 12 at 20:17

We planted a Tamukeyama Japanese Maple in front of our house at the end of summer 2011. It was doing great after we planted it, and we waited after the crazy Oklahoma summer heat to plant it to be safe! Well it's Spring now, and after the leaves fell off this winter, no new bulbs are coming in! :(
I worried more about the cheaper Japanese Maple we purchased at Lowe's that we planted in the back, but that one bloomed early this Spring and looks beautiful! This one we purchased at a nice nursery and probably spent the most on it for that flower bed, and it is the only thing not looking so well this Spring...:( Is it too late for it? Is it completely gone..? How can I tell?

Pics:
http://img37.imageshack.us/img37/3443/imag0442s.jpg
http://img441.imageshack.us/img441/24/imag0443a.jpg

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Help!..is my Tamukeyama dead?? :(

• Posted by whaas 5a SE WI (My Page) on
    Thu, Apr 12, 12 at 21:15

Its odd that it wouldn't have leafed out in your area yet but just scratch a main stem (or even the main trunk).

If its green you're good...brown and its dead.

o

I would be very... suspicious at this point. The only thing yet to break bud in my yard are dead branches. EVERYTHING else is well on their way with some things already pushing out 1' of growth, including an 'Orangeola' pushing 8"+.

Scratch test pronto!

John

o

at the end of summer 2011

==>> was it a late season bargain???

give it a week or two.. and then get rid of it.. if it shows no sign of life.. or is so stunted as to not be worthwhile ...

now. ... i see this beautiful green lawn.. looking like 50 plus feet.. towards the street ..

and you have this tree within what looks like 2 feet of the house .. whats that all about ... there is a chance.. the retained and reflected heat of winter sun.. cooked it.. who knows ....

if and when you replace it.. plant it NO CLOSER than 6 feet from the house ... its all about planning for its future natural growth ...

good luck

ken

o

I would hestiate to pull the plug yet :-) Although the photo could be larger, there looks to be viable buds on the tree and no obvious signs of dead (read grey or black) wood. Sometimes more recently planted items just take a bit longer to respond and leaf out.

And I'd not be overly concerned about placement either. Tamukeyama is a weeping dissectum, easily trained to grow in a specific horizontal direction, so closeness to structure, wall, fence etc. is not particularly critical. These types of JM's are often used to anchor corners or small planters in my area.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Trees Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here