Return to the Trees Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Identify this for me please

Posted by jfchui NSW Aust (My Page) on
Sun, Apr 27, 14 at 20:21

In a ground floor unit two trees were seen growing (by previous owner) taller and taller in the garden and we decided to remove it last year. The appointed tree man said they were strub and can simply be removed and he did. However, he refused to grind the stumb for us. Instead he left toxic stuff on the trunk surface after it was cut. That's wasn't good but it is now too late.

After a year we found the tree had tried to grow sideway. We don't live there but we believe new borns had growth to over 4 meters till we were told the problem. See picture. The tenant chopped it down and yesterday we removed it. At the same time we removed the top soil and as seen from the picture its roots grows sideway and it was very thick (the root was nearly 13cm, it took only abt one year to reach that size!.)

This is alarming as the roots move towards our piping for drinking water and sewage pipes as well. All I had done yesterday was to cut what we saw.

Here is a link that might be useful: not required

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Identify this for me please

Do you have any idea what kind of "toxic stuff" he used? If glyphosate or triclopyr are available in Australia, effectively treating this relatively small tree, to eliminate it permanently, should be very simple, easy, and safe. Just apply a concentrated (not watered down and ready for sprayer use) small amount of either chemical to the phloem (around the edge) of the freshly-cut stump.

o

As to identifying the tree, it's a pity the picture was taken after it was cut down. There's very little to go on to id it. Any chance of a close up of the leaves?

o

Thanks for follow-up. I'll try to get more pictures. By the way the given link has one more picture of the trunk when it was over 10 meters high 18 months ago. (At that time all leaves were off). Did it help?

o

Hello there, I had visited the place again and this is the best I can do to show the leaves.

I managed to pick up a small branch that I didn't place onto the bin and the branch has only a few dried leaves and I made a close-up. The picture is uploaded as "cut4days" please check the same link below.

The other 3 new pictures under the name "newBorn" are showing young leaves of a new shoot-out that I am almost certain it is from the same "bad" tree.

Here is a link that might be useful: morePictures

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Trees Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here