Return to the Trees Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
How to kill ailanthus (AKA tree of heaven)

Posted by perennialfan273 zone 5 (My Page) on
Tue, Apr 26, 11 at 20:21

I think my neighbor has these growing in her yard. I'd like to help her get rid of them so the seedlings stop popping up in my yard. Can anyone offer some advice??

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: How to kill ailanthus (AKA tree of heaven)

Cut and paint the stump with brush killer (something designed for woody plants). It may re-sprout, just re-cut and paint again.

o

When you go at it, make sure to get ALL the tree (all the suckers). If you only treat part, there is less chance of the chemical killing the tree.

Paint the stumps very soon after cutting them. Applying the herbicide after hours or days is less effective. Only the chemical that is applied to the phloem layer will do any good, applying to the middle of the stump is not necessary

Be sure not to use something watered down too much. Glyphosate (RoundUp), for instance, will do the job if applied concentrated, but, if you get the premixed stuff, the tree will probably just laugh. Triclopyr (Brush-B-Gon) is another common chemical that can work well.

o

Cut 'em down, poison the stumps, and then pluck the sprouts for the next several years... ;-)

Josh

o

• Posted by lkz5ia z5 west iowa (My Page) on
    Wed, Apr 27, 11 at 8:37

Really you don't even need to use poison. They aren't really hard to kill if pay attention weekly. If you or the neighbor have kids, you just found some good chores for them. Just remember there probably is a big seedbank, so when disturbing soil, you probably could even have some come up years later.

o

My summer job is killing tree of heaven at my local nature center. I have probably killed hundreds of these things already. To kill them you need to girdle the tree by removing as much bark as you can all the way around the tree. You then chop a bit deeper another 2 inches into some spot on the trunk and then spray with an herbicide. The tree should be dead within a week. Warning, the trees give off a terrible smell when you start chopping off the bark.

o

Don't girdle and don't cut in 2 inches. Cut down/remove and treat the area just inside the bark. I'm sure the neighbor isn't going to be excited about looking out the window at a dead rotting tree in the yard, and applying chemical to the xylem is just a pure waste of chemical (will not hurt the tree).

o

I unfortunately have a big one growing in my yard! I would love to cut it down but it is to expensive! I made the mistake of cleaning up an area behind my garage and have found hundreds of clusters of these things. In the 9 yrs we have lived in our house they haven't really grown back there. Now that I have disturbed them, they are growing all over my yard. I need to know how to kill the clusters while they are still in the ground, because digging them up is not an option? Does anyone have any suggestions???? DESPERATELY SEEKING HELP!!!!!!

o

AMB71, just read the posts above. The right herbicide applied in the right way works well!

Of course, if you have a large tree and kill it, it will eventually come down. It may cost a little to have it removed (if you can't do it yourself), but it's going to cost more when you let it stand there until it rots and falls on your garage.

o

• Posted by beng z6 western MD (My Page) on
    Thu, Aug 1, 13 at 11:19

Many of the "seedlings" of Ailanthus are actually root-sprouts. Can occur a surprising distance from the tree.

o

...including under foundation footings and then into crawl spaces.

o

• Posted by dis_ z9 CA (My Page) on
    Fri, Aug 2, 13 at 15:29

Someone across the street has allowed one to grow next to their house. I really hope I won't start finding it in my yard.

o

We have had these things since moving into our house in 1986-!! They were more or less under control until our next-door neighbors cut down a whole grove of them two years ago. Now they are worse than ever. Sure, I can wreck my back plucking them out every day (sometimes twice a day), but on our 1/3 acre they are just too numerous. I've tried digging out the "roots" but that doesn't stop 'em -- they come right back the next day. I thought Roundup would kill them, but I used the premixed version, so nothing. They are so ugly, stinky and insidious: they grow under chairs and tables, they sneak into groomed beds, they grow in wet and dry seasons alike.
We have one tree of then left in one corner of the yard. I hope I can have that tree surgically removed later in the year, but wait -- won't that just create more of them? The responses on this forum seem to contradict each other, or perhaps it's just me.
We call them "triffids" after the murderous chirping plant in the classic scifi movie. I do believe that if left untouched, they would eventually surround the house and choke everything in it ;).
Sylvia

o

if you read the RU label ... on the concentrate... as a tree killer it is used at 100% [which is 41%] ... and dripped on the cut trunk ...

it is not.. in any sense.. a 'spray thing' ... and definitely a diluted product thing ...

use something like at the link.. for application of full strength product.. snip a sprout.. put one drip on it ... and keep at it ... return unused product to properly labeled container ...

ken

Here is a link that might be useful: very expensive applicator

o

If the RU is applied properly, and at proper concentrations, as Ken and Brandon have explained, it will kill the entire root system and stop the sprouting in other areas of the property as well.

o

Ken - I love your "expensive applicator"!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Trees Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here