Return to the Trees Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
THE Acer griseum - Paperbark Maple thread - Got Pics?

Posted by toronado3800 Z6 St. Louis (My Page) on
Sun, Apr 15, 12 at 20:27

Maybe not the rarest of trees but still a small import most people do not think of at first. At first my small mail order transplant suffered some dieback and underperformed. This year it is actually looking pretty good.

It's in decent generic yard soil on the north side of my house midway up the hill. Branch on the right, the old main trunk is probably due to get pruned off next spring. Even though it has leaves the new leader is considerably more vigorous.

Someone out there has to have a bigger one and don't cheat using a picture you googled lol!

Uploaded from the Photobucket Android App

Uploaded from the Photobucket Android App

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: THE Acer griseum - Paperbark Maple thread - Got Pics?

• Posted by whaas 5a SE WI (My Page) on
    Sun, Apr 15, 12 at 21:26

One of the best trees by far. Its the only tree I took with me to my new home.

Before the journey to the new home...
Photobucket

In its new home...
Photobucket

Photobucket

o

My eyes, Whaas!

This is absolutely one tree I must add to the collection. Arktrees had already convinced me over the winter ;-)

Keep the pics coming!

o

• Posted by bboy USDA 8 Sunset 5 WA (My Page) on
    Mon, Apr 16, 12 at 0:49

There is nothing else quite like it. Endangered in the wild.

o

The only photos I have were from a newly planted tree end of season last year and they're small that I used on my blog. Taken in September, and end of October already losing leaves.
Cher

Photobucket

Photobucket

o

Photobucket
Definitely becoming more common, we have a nice planting at our local library. The nearby adult ed center has a planting of 7 which is where I collect my seed. My only fault for AG is the stiff, rigid habit, almost like the tree is uptight. How do you blend in this tree with the companion plantings? Also it gets lost against red brick.

o

I planted this one in 2001 from a 3-gallon pot. It was a tall stick with a few branches at the tip. A freebie that the nursery I worked at never sold. The calliper was literally 1.5" all the way up and 5-6' tall. It too has glorious fall color. These photos are from a re-visit of my previous home two summers ago (nine years after planting).

Acer griseum
Acer griseum

Acer griseum bark
Acer griseum 9-years from 1.5

Acer griseum bark
Acer griseum from 1.5

Dax

o

Nice pictures! The fall color is especially impressive. I can't wait until mine is bigger.

I typically only see one or two cultivars listed. Anoyone know if more are in the works? Every other acer seems to have a hundred.

o

• Posted by whaas 5a SE WI (My Page) on
    Mon, Apr 16, 12 at 13:21

Its because the species is superior. The cultivars are a bust compared to the species.

The only internesting one I saw was a cross between it and sugar maple.

Nice pics everyone!

Dax,

Yours has grown up nicely!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Trees Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here