Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
toronado3800

THE Acer griseum - Paperbark Maple thread - Got Pics?

Maybe not the rarest of trees but still a small import most people do not think of at first. At first my small mail order transplant suffered some dieback and underperformed. This year it is actually looking pretty good.

It's in decent generic yard soil on the north side of my house midway up the hill. Branch on the right, the old main trunk is probably due to get pruned off next spring. Even though it has leaves the new leader is considerably more vigorous.

Someone out there has to have a bigger one and don't cheat using a picture you googled lol!

{{gwi:349370}}

{{gwi:349371}}

Comments (17)

• whaas_5a
    12 years ago

One of the best trees by far. Its the only tree I took with me to my new home.

Before the journey to the new home...
    {{gwi:349372}}

In its new home...
    {{gwi:349373}}

{{gwi:349375}}

• j0nd03
    12 years ago

My eyes, Whaas!

This is absolutely one tree I must add to the collection. Arktrees had already convinced me over the winter ;-)

Keep the pics coming!

• Embothrium
    12 years ago

There is nothing else quite like it. Endangered in the wild.

• Cher
    12 years ago

The only photos I have were from a newly planted tree end of season last year and they're small that I used on my blog. Taken in September, and end of October already losing leaves.
    Cher

{{gwi:349377}}

{{gwi:349378}}

• sam_md
    12 years ago

{{gwi:349380}}
    Definitely becoming more common, we have a nice planting at our local library. The nearby adult ed center has a planting of 7 which is where I collect my seed. My only fault for AG is the stiff, rigid habit, almost like the tree is uptight. How do you blend in this tree with the companion plantings? Also it gets lost against red brick.

• gardener365
    12 years ago

I planted this one in 2001 from a 3-gallon pot. It was a tall stick with a few branches at the tip. A freebie that the nursery I worked at never sold. The calliper was literally 1.5" all the way up and 5-6' tall. It too has glorious fall color. These photos are from a re-visit of my previous home two summers ago (nine years after planting).

Acer griseum
    {{gwi:349382}}

Acer griseum bark
    {{gwi:349383}}

Acer griseum bark
    {{gwi:349384}}

Dax

• Toronado3800 Zone 6 St Louis
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Nice pictures! The fall color is especially impressive. I can't wait until mine is bigger.

I typically only see one or two cultivars listed. Anoyone know if more are in the works? Every other acer seems to have a hundred.

• whaas_5a
    12 years ago

Its because the species is superior. The cultivars are a bust compared to the species.

The only internesting one I saw was a cross between it and sugar maple.

Nice pics everyone!

Dax,

Yours has grown up nicely!

• kateincentraloh
    7 years ago

I know this is an old thread; however, I thought I might engage. I am 90% sure this is Acer griseuma. There is one on each side of the front porch. Suppose this is a full grown specimen? Based on what I've read it is not. What are the odds I could successfully move it? I love it; however, to my eye, both trees engulf the front of the house and I'd like to relocate them to another area.

• NHBabs z4b-5a NH
    7 years ago

You may find that if the trees are pruned up that it reduces the crowded feeling that you currently have.

• Sara Malone Zone 9b
    7 years ago

Get an assessment and an estimate from a professional. As noted above, they really look best when easily viewed. A great tree, in my view, as it is showy at all times of the year in very different ways. Here is one of my favorite specimens, at the Mendocino Coast Botanical Gardens, in autumn:

• kateincentraloh
    7 years ago

Thank you for your responses. The former owner of the house sold plants and trees on site so we are overwhelmed with trying to figure out what is what and why it was put in a particular spot. The house sits on over 5 acres and there are rows and rows of trees that are not fully grown that may overcrowd one another if we can't figure out what to do with them!

Someday in the future I will contact a professional to get an opinion b/c I just can't see these trees staying in this spot. There are some mature oakleaf hydrangeas I would much rather see flank the front porch.

Once again thank you!

• toronado_3800
    7 years ago

Mine never has had great fall color. Besides that it does its thing. Now its about my height. Every winter the feshest 2 inches die back and it almost always makes a fork there. Someplace I have a picture of the buds. They're attractive in late spring.

• arbordave (SE MI)
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

I'm with NHBabs - prune them up and leave them where they are. Beats oakleaf hydrangea hands down IMO ...

• gardener365
    7 years ago

Tornado, I waited I think? 5-years for that one above to go from o.k., to blazing red. I don't have an explanation, either.

Give it time . . . I'll bet that son of a gun will make you look twice before it's all said and done.Dax

• Toronado3800 Zone 6 St Louis
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Will do Dax. I have noticed with a couple other species either size or maturity makes a world of difference with fall color so I'll give it time.

Sponsored
Davidson Builders
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Franklin County's Full-Scale General Contractor