Return to the Trees Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Autumn Blaze Maple Not Blooming

Posted by decchallenged 6 (My Page) on
Thu, Apr 16, 09 at 20:42

We have 3 Autumn Blaze Maple trees in our backyard, planted 3 years ago. The trunks are about 4-6" in diameter. For the past 2 years, one of them doesn't bloom at all on the top half. The bottom half blooms pretty decently. I think all three of the trees suffered a little trunk damage when the deer rubbed against them the first year they were planted.

What does it mean that only half the tree is blooming? Is it dying? Should I cut off the top? Since it still blooms pretty nicely at the bottom, I hate to give up on it completely.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Autumn Blaze Maple Not Blooming

If the top half still generates leaves then I see no reason to cut it off. Is there any light competition from nearby taller trees?

Think of all the seedlings you are NOT having to pull!

o

They are hybrids and don't flower as reliably as red maples.
In fact we have about 2 dozen autumn blaze maples and I don't think they have ever flowered at all.

o

what does blooming mean.. in regard to a maple????

are you saying some part of the tree hasnt had leaves for 2 years????

it would not surprise me.. on a transplant of this size.. if it didnt take 3 to 5 years to get 'established' .. and return to proper growth ...

but dead is dead ...

minor deer damage is irrelevant ..

ken

o

>what does blooming mean.. in regard to a maple????

The same as for any tree, the emergence and opening of the flowers. All those red clusters that appear on red maples before the leaves emerge in the spring are flowers.

Alex

o

By not blooming I mean that the top half of the tree does not grow any leaves at all.

o

well there you go ... a problem with words.. go figure on that ... i suspected as much ....

if a branch or section did not leaf out for the whole year.. that part is dead ...

it should be pruned back to live wood .... maples are VERY aggressive.. and frankly .. no matter how ugly a pruning job makes it.. it will recover.. and with a little followup pruning care over the next few years.. could be pruned into a magnificent tree .. i would not give up ... unless budget is irrelevant ...

a picture would sure help

good luck

ken

o

Here are a few pictures of the tree. Should I cut off all the dead branches at the top and hope that they grow back with leaves?

o

The tops of the trees are dead. Maybe they can have a decent shape after you prune out the dead wood.

Dan

o

Yeah prune off the dead top. Mulch a large area around the tree, but don't put mulch right up to the trunk. Then as the years go by pick the best new branches and let the tallest, straightest, and most central branch grow to be your new leader. As time goes by you will be able to prune out the ones that aren't great, but you can let them grow until you know which is best. That way your tree benefits from the extra foliage. Good luck!

o

Thanks for the advice! I will try it and hopefully it will work!

o

I have an identical situation--- can the dead portions of the tree be pruned off at this time of year? Thanks in advance.

o

How long has that stake been on the tree? It should be on no longer than a year after planting, then, it should be removed.

o

• Posted by brandon7 6b (like 7b now) TN (My Page) on
    Fri, Jun 19, 09 at 9:11

Where do you see a stake? I've squinted until my eyeballs are about to pop, but don't see any signs of a stake.

o

i dontn see a stake

but i would not leave those black pipes on for more than 2 years ...

winter sun can cause problems ... bark scald ...

ken

o

We cut off the top of the tree and it looks a little funny, but is already starting to grow out nicely. We also pruned some dead branches off our other 2 maples and they too are looking better. I guess we should take the black pipes off, since it has been about 2 years. Thanks for the advice.

o

Ken is wrong. Not all maples are not "aggressive". General rule of thumb - american maples are aggressive. Asian maples are not. I've seen mostly asian maples in plant beds with azaleas and other shrubs. Heck I even saw sugar maple and autumn blaze growing around them. I bet Ken has never grown most of Asian maples...

Asian maples list

Japanese maple
Korean maple
Shantung maple
Many others...

o

I have a newly planted Autumn Blaze, however it seems to have leaves that are changing color as if it were Fall. The majority of the leaves have brown tips and are dry. Is this normal for a new tree around 8 feet tall planted 3 months ago? Could it be a disease or drought? We have had a very wet summer with rain storms each week.

o

Stress.

Dan

o

We planted a Autumn blaze maple last fall. The branches are reddish colored and look like they are alive, but it has no leaves. What time of the spring does it suppose to bloom?
Walter

o

walter, by bloom, if you mean flower, these trees being silver maple hyrbrids do not have conspicuous flowers. If by bloom, you mean leaf out, they leaf out in late april to may in most of the country so hang in there.

o

(just a note to lou_midlothian_tx - Japanese maples may not be invasive in your area, but straight species Acer palmatum certainly are in mine. Always a good idea to check for invasive plants where ever you are located)

Here is a link that might be useful: Japanese Maple Invasiveness

o

carrieb, do you have any source other than that invasive.org photo page? I'm not calling you a liar, I'm just curious to know more about it and where they have been found escaping cultivation and or doing damage. I am only aware of one isolated case in an urban park in DC.

o
more of Acer palmatum

iforgot - I've linked another web source, and a search for "invasive acer palmatum" turns up quite a few links that at least list potential invasiveness. The two links I've posted also list sources.

I will say that when I worked for a year at Philadelphia's Morris Arboretum, in their Urban Forestry Department, there was absolute concern at the arboretum, and there was a significant problem of Japanese maple seedlings coming up throughout the wooded "natural" areas of the arboretum and surrounding parkland.

I'm absolutely not saying that they're a problem everywhere, just that they have the potential to be a problem and were definitely a problem at the specific arboretum I worked for in a particular part of my country and state.

Here is a link that might be useful: Another source

o

What am I missing? With the exception of one "naturalized" status in Baton Rouge, the rest of those sources were in Australia or New Zealand.

I don't believe in waiting until something has become a problem but even for me, there has to be some bona fide demonstration of it escaping before I can spread the word about it.

o

• Posted by whaas 5a Milwaukee (My Page) on
    Sat, Apr 3, 10 at 23:34

Wow, is this another post about JM's being invasive?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Trees Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here