Return to the Trees Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Help! Almost Entirely Brown Cedar Tree!

Posted by vegankellis Seattle, Wa (My Page) on
Sat, Apr 19, 14 at 20:43

There is a huge old-growth cedar tree in front of my house and over the past year it has gotten increasingly brown. Now the entire tree looks the same: orange-brown leaves for at least half of each branch. The ends are still green, and I can not see any abnormalities to the leaves themselves. I have two male cats, and this tree is THE favorite of every dog that walks by (lots)! Could this be the issue. I can see some dark spots at the base of the tree, and the browning may have started at the bottom. It's all over now though...any help? I will try fencing it off again, someone STOLE the fence last time!

This post was edited by vegankellis on Wed, Apr 23, 14 at 15:40

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Help! Almost Entirely Brown Cedar Tree!

A picture would likely help us understand the issues more clearly.

o

i also wonder about the ID.. since cedar is used .. as a common name.. for a wide range of conifers ...

and i also am wondering how an old growth forest tree.. ended up in what i PRESUME is suburbia ... with all those dogs around ...

need pix to start the discussion

ken

o

Ken, western red cedars, Thuja plicata, are extremely common trees all over western WA, even in very urban settings. Maybe not exactly "old growth" but large, mature trees nonetheless :-))

A photo would certainly help to confirm what is going on but WRC's are common for flagging or the browning of clumps of foliage. Typically it is most noticeable in fall but could certainly persist through winter. Or it may be something a bit more serious. Need pics!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Trees Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here