Return to the Trees Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Where to buy Siberian elm

Posted by Yazan 5 (My Page) on
Sun, Apr 13, 14 at 20:50

Hi,

Does anyone know a good source to buy a Siberian elm? U. pumila?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Where to buy Siberian elm

Where are you at? Your member page only says "United States".

BTW, you may want to update your member page. It's awful hard to talk gardening with someone without knowing where they live (climate, hardiness zone, etc).

o

Why would you WANT a Siberian Elm?

o

just find a mature one.. and dig up one of the million of seedlings within a quarter of a mile of it ...

you can do so much better than this weed tree

ken

o

• Posted by beng z6 western MD (My Page) on
    Mon, Apr 14, 14 at 8:28

Yeah, don't do it. Chinese elm resists all the elm diseases and is far more desirable & durable.

o

It's used as a trimmed hedge over here and as that it works out pretty well

o

In Elko, Nevada (high desert climate, zone 5, less than 10" of ran a year) it seems to be the only tree that reproduces. That should tell you plenty about that species right there.

o

I live in Kansas City, KS, zone 6a. We have a lot of good trees here, but I need a fast growing, hardy tree that withstands heat, drought, and rocky clay soil.

I need Siberian elm for 2 main reasons: I lost 2 trees this summer, a Bradford pear and red maple to storm damage, the former fell on my house. I need a tree to flourish and fill up the open space. I also need Siberian elm because it grows quickly to control the severe erosion problem I have been having.

I have searched everywhere and can't find it anywhere. The tree was everywhere 20 years ago. Any guidance is appreciated,

Yazan

o

"I live in Kansas City, KS..."

You are smack in the middle of where this tree is well known to be environmentally damaging (invasive). Planting one in your area, especially if they are not already prevalent, would be kind of like ecological vandalism.

"the former fell on my house."

Ulmus pumila is generally described as weak-wooded, short-lived, and requiring constant clean-up of shed branches. You sure wouldn't want one planted anywhere near your house.

"I have searched everywhere and can't find it anywhere."

And there's a DARN good reason for that. This tree is available from multiple nurseries, but I would strongly suggest that you look for a better alternative (you're unlikely to choose a worse candidate).

o

Hi Everyone,

Because the Siberian elm has been getting such negative feedback, I will probably reconsider my options. Although Siberian elm is a fast growing tolerant tree, it is better to have a long-term reliable tree. I don't want to go through cutting it down again.

Right now I am considering oaks-- maybe shingle oak, a good native that is interesting. I can't seem to find it anywhere though.

Yazan

o

• Posted by beng z6 western MD (My Page) on
    Tue, Apr 15, 14 at 9:31

Yazan, there are others here that live on the plains & hopefully chime in. Difficult 'cause it's tough on trees, but some are well-enough adapted. Bur oak comes to mind. Honeylocust has excellent drought & heat tolerance once established. Male osage-orange too (no fruit). There are more.

o

Skinner Nursery in Topeka sells small native trees in quart pots. They have had shingle oak in the past. The Missouri Prairie Foundation will have a native plant sale on Apr 26 at City Market in downtown KC Mo. They may have your oak or know where to get it.

o

• Posted by dis_ z9 CA (My Page) on
    Sun, Apr 20, 14 at 23:13

My property came with a Siberian elm that i would love to get rid of. It is one ratty looking tree. The lower limbs die with regularity and drop off.

I want to replace it with a California Sycamore.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Trees Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here