Return to the Trees Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
seiryu japanese maple

Posted by macknkss Sacramento CA (My Page) on
Mon, Apr 22, 13 at 21:02

I have a seiryu japanese maple that has been in the ground for 3 years. It's always been really beautiful, healthy tree but this year in early April it started to get leaves and then just stopped. These new leaves were about half the size of what they should be and have now all completely died, turning reddish brown.

The tree hasn't done anything at all in over a month but the branches are still very flexible and green on the inside.

Anything else I can do to see if it's alive?

Thanks, don't know what I'd do without all your help.

Mack

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: seiryu japanese maple

not a very good pic.. and we would need to see the buds themselves..

but in MI... this is what a frost/freeze looks like.. if it happens at that point of budding out ...

maples have plenty of dormant buds ... and will usually releaf

so all you can do is.. wait and see

ken

o

Sorry about the pic. I'll try to post a better one tonight. About when should the tree get more leaves if its alive? Just wondering if I should wait through spring or later?

o

I hope that your 'Seiryu' survives and prospers. I've seen only one in our area. (At 7' tall and about $400, it's a bit beyond my means.) But it's beautiful and unique. You probably know that, while almost all dissectums are of the mounded or weeping habit, 'Seiryu' is one of the only ones which are upright. A real beauty, in my eyes.

o

• Posted by bboy USDA 8 Sunset 5 WA (My Page) on
    Thu, Apr 25, 13 at 19:46

Might have picked up a bacterial blight infestation last fall. Or been pre-infected at time of purchase, failures of grafted Japanese maples a few years after purchase are a problem I have encountered myself - at least one party with long experience with them has said on the internet that careless growers are sending out stock infected at time of grafting.

o

Thanks everyone. I guess I'll wait until June to see if it shows any sign of life before taking it out.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Trees Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here