Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cjsm5nys

Eastern Red Bud...Is it dead?

cjsm5nys
16 years ago

Last August I planted a Eastern Red bud. I followed the nursury's planting instructions and watered frequently until ground frozen. I know planting in the fall is risky and not all plantings make it through the winter. I am zone 5.

It is now spring. The weather has been quite warm, very hot lately and I am watering when there has been no rain. My other trees I planted last fall are doing well and buds are out.

This tree shows no signs of life! At the ends of the branches, no buds appear to be developing. I broke off a very small branch and there is no green, simply wood color-light tan in color.

What can I look for in the coming weeks with this tree or is it simply dead?

If so, I believe I will dig it up and plant a another so it will be more established by fall.

Thank you.

Comments (22)

• bullthistle
    16 years ago

Scratch the stem with you thumb nail and if it looks like the branch yes it has passed on.

Here is a link that might be useful: Propagating Perennials

• spruceman
    16 years ago

The tree may not be completely dead--it may sprout from the base and/or begin to grow from the trunk or main branches. But if large parts of the tree don't leaf out, you may want to exercise any guarantee the nursery gave you. They will probably want you to wait a bit longer before honoring any guarantee.

--Spruce

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    16 years ago

MINE IN Z5 ARE BUDDING OUT THE FLOWERS... BUT NO SIGN OF LEAVES.. oops...

transplant or young age may be affecting yours ability to flower ....

but i think you will have to wait a few more weeks to see if it leafs out ...

if its a plain old RBud .... not grafted .... it can regrow from the roots.. if the top is dead... so if it doesnt leaf out in a few weeks.. give it more time.. to see if it comes from below ...

if it a grafted specialty plant... and there is no sign of life.. above the graft within a month .. its dead ...

all that said .. if nothing in a month .. and you have a warrantee .... exercise it ...

ken

• greenhaven
    15 years ago

Ken, Eastern Redbuds in our prairie location all flower out before they grow their leaves. SO appealing!!

• cjsm5nys
    Original Author
    15 years ago

UPDATE...

I noticed this past Friday, my Red Bud is now beginning to show some buds and a few flowers.

Could it be this tree will be alright? What to look for now and/or what to do or not?

Thanks!

• Pamchesbay
    15 years ago

If you have buds and flowers, that's good news. In late April, you scratched the trunk and branches - the trunk was green, at least some branches were tan. Does the tree have buds and flowers on the branches that were tan?

• cjsm5nys
    Original Author
    15 years ago

pam chesbay,

The trunk and branches do have buds, some flowers and very small like leaves beginning to appear. As you go up the different branches it is the same too. On the tan like branches, it is the same but not on the entirety on some of these tan branches.

What do you think?

Thanks!

• Pamchesbay
    15 years ago

If your trees has buds, flowers and small leaves (the leaves arrive last), it's fine. You may lose parts of branches (where you found the tan last month) but this happens with many trees, especially newly planted trees.

Now you need to keep your tree alive through this first summer. If you don't have rain, give it a good watering. Put mulch around it, no more than 4 inches deep but no mulch should touch the trunk.

Last spring, I planted several redbuds during a drought. Despite the difficulties, they did fine. They put in lots of new growth and are 3-4 feet taller this year. Your redbud is likely to reward you with many more flowers next year and the next.

Pam

• cjsm5nys
    Original Author
    15 years ago

pam,

I have not applied any fertilizer to this red bud tree this spring. Do you recommend I do so or any other product if at all?

Thanks again!

• Pamchesbay
    15 years ago

People have different opinions about fertilizing. Some people say you shouldn't fertilize - that you are wasting your money unless your soil is deficient. Others add a slow release organiic fertilizer like Osmocote.

I add a little Black Hen chicken manure mixed in with the planting soil- this is based on advice from Sherry, an experienced gardener and member of this forum. I just started doing this so I can't draw any conclusions yet.

Pam

• cjsm5nys
    Original Author
    15 years ago

When I planted the red bud last fall, I did use some of our farm compost. A little mixture of this and that manure:)

Yesterday I did use a slow release fertilizer and watered nicely.

Thanks for your help....I will give an update in a month or so.

• lynettstoy
    15 years ago

You might want to look at the leaves and see if there is yellowing or the veins are darker than the rest of the leaf. Redbud do seem to want a little more mineral than many trees. I use Ironite, and it can be applied directly to the leaves, following the directions on the bottle. I use it on everything, but find that if I don't pay attention, the redbuds will show the first signs of needing it.

Happy Gardening!

• castawaykev
    15 years ago

I am trying to find some Redbuds ...as the one i bought a year ago was shipped to me broken. I planted it...maybe it survived...I will check this spring. Otherwise I will have to order again online. Unless I can propigate some indoors from seed over winter,anyone have the seeds>?

kevin

• brandon7 TN_zone7
    15 years ago

Kevin,

Your post is probably not in the best thread and maybe not even really in the best forum. You posted into someone else's thread that was about how to tell if there tree was dead. When posting a fairly unrelated question, request, or idea, you'll usually get more response if you start a new thread. Another advantage is that responses to your post will go to you instead of the person that started the original thread. Also, you might be more likely to get a response to a request for seeds in the Seed Exchange Forum. I really wish that there was some type of woody plant material exchange page, but unfortunately there's not.

Another thing you may want to consider is that redbuds aren't as easy to grow from seed as many plants. The seeds are double dormant so require scarification and stratification for best results. You can grow them from seed if you are really determined to do so, but it's probably much easier just to buy one. This will also allow you to purchase a superior cultivar if desired and get a couple of years head start on growth.

• Marie Tulin
    15 years ago

My redbud seemed to be as dead as a doornail. We cut it down. I'm certain we pulled it up by the roots. A year later, there were several sprouts. The sprouts grew to about 2 feet in a season. A viable piece must have remained in soil! I'll post a question on a new thread.
    Marie

• marymcg_2009
    15 years ago

My redbud has only a few blooms near the tops of the branches. It was planted over a year ago. Last year , it had sparse leaves and very few seed pods. What can I do to help it? My neighborhood is full of redbuds in full bloom!
    mistocat , Tennessee

• brandon7 TN_zone7
    15 years ago

Mistocat,
    Your tree might be suffering from the droughts we've had around here the last few years. I would mulch it well with about 3" to 4" of composted bark (Nature's Helper brand is one that available at the big box stores like Home Depot). Leave a gap of about 1" to 2" between the trunk and where the mulch layer begins. Mulch out as far as you reasonably can (at least out to the dripline). Keep it watered well if we experience more drought later on in the year. If you do have to water, water deeply but not frequently. A deep soak is better than multiple small waterings.

BTW, what part of Tennessee do you live in? I haven't seen you in the Tennessee Forum yet.

• TRUNM247
    9 years ago

I had purchase a two Redbud cercis canadensis one smaller one and one that reach really tall. I had purchase them from a local store i don't kno much about them i really just thought it will look great. The smaller one is doing great the bigger is growing nothing is anything i can try before competely give up?

• pmunsinger
    6 years ago

The town I live in (Hempstead, New York) planted two Redbud cercis trees in the front of my home while I was away for the summer. I do have a sprinkler system, but I don't know if it got enough water. I returned yesterday to find the top half of both trees looking

very, very dead (thin branches snap off easily)--but the bottom portion of both trees have healthy looking leaves. The trees look quite weird actually. I'm wondering if I should wait the winter and see what happens next Spring. What do you suggest?

• Ann Masullo
    8 months ago

My red bud was planted in September of 22. It grew to about a foot and a half tall with tons of beautiful leaves, 4 different pieces. Now suddenly those leaves are turning brown and crisp and falling off. I have trimmed 2 stems to give it room to breathe. Just yesterday I used wire ties loosely to hold it together to stand straight. I have fertilized 2 times since April with miracle grow. We have had warm humid weather of late with a lot of rain. I water when it appears dry. What am I doing wrong?

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    8 months ago

hi ann,,, welcome..

start your own post.. included pix of the tree.. including one at ground level..

tell us where you are.. big city name... have you been in drought???

tell us how you planted it.. what your soil is.. and most importantly.. how you water it deeply..

your tree is stressed... NEVER fert a stressed tree...

and stop cutting off pieces.. unless you are sure those pieces are dead..

i have no clue why you bound your tree with wire... pix about that also..

sounds like improper watering when the heat of summer rose in july and august leading to leaf loss...

ken